Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:27 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Bought a Wii and played nothing but Rock Bank.

Bought a WiiU, and played nothing but Smash Brothers.

Everything else a PC does better. Can't imagine living without obscure $10 Steam games. Or shooting people in the head without a mouse. Or managing any number of cities/colonies/empires/corportations on a joystick.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 07-10-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 01:51 PM

I occasionally go back to consoles. But I'm one of those people that will pay for a game on multiple platforms. Every game I've played on both console and PC feels better on PC. Destiny 2 was the last time I did that, and the difference was striking. And now I've completely lost the ability to play anything competitive with a controller (outside of Rocket League).

I've also gone down the road of making a living room PC for couch gaming. In my opinion the console definitely wins out in that environment. I have a handful of reasons, but BluRay playback is number 1.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:24 PM

I got an xbox one and PC. Haven't played a game on my xbox one in years.

I mostly enjoy RPG and strategy games which work better on PC. Not a lot of games I'd move to the console to play...easier just to play them on the PC with steam. Xbox is there just to let me use voice commands to turn on the TV right now.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 AM
SOA

I’ve always been tempted to build a gaming PC. I think Twitch Prime giving away games that are on my “want to play” list has made me more interested than ever. There are also a ton of PC indies that I learn about and want to play but can’t (only a few have had a Mac version that was able to play on my 2011 Air - like Gone Home, Stanley Parable, and Doki Doki Literature Club).

I don’t think I would ever move away from consoles as long as there are amazing exclusives. Some of my favorite games from last/current gen are unplayable on PC (Zelda, Mario, Uncharted, TLoU, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War).
Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 AM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

I mainly play indies so my cheap-ass PC is perfect. Will probably buy a Switch eventually though.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

I'm trying to get over being so cheap about gaming. It's a holdover from poverty and guilt about playing all the time.

But realistically... I probably play games about 10x as much as I ride in my car. Should be comfortable spending a couple grand/year on a nice rig and new games, and justify that by driving a crappy car.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 AM
SOA

I spend way too much time gaming, but beyond the $ value of my time, I really don't spend that much because I don't play many different games. Rather I deep dive into various multiplayer games and get captured by the grind to improve in them and get to a high level. Eventually it wanes and I'll buy a new game, but I rarely buy many games and will stick with games for well over a year.

Previous games would be Counterstrike 1.6, multiple Call of Duty releases, Starcraft (although not typically the main game, rather custom games like Risk or Stacked mining maps), Battlefield 2/3. More recently, games such as League of Legends, Rocket League, and PUBG have been the ones I've deep dived into. Not sure what the next will be. I don't play LoL anymore really, not sure what the next game will be. Never got into Fortnite, I'm sure something will grab me in the next year though to pull me away from one or both of the games I grind these days.

That being said, I've always been hesitant and shied away from taking the next jump and trying to join competitive leagues/teams for the games I grind. I could probably join a PUBG team and try to start competing in various events and could also really try to get serious with RL and try to grind for the highest ranks, but it is like a border I back off from with my gaming. Dunno. Only games I really played in competitions and stuff were Counterstrike 1.6 and Call of Duty 4.

I could see a good Battlefield release catching me for a bit, but who knows.

Last edited by dancran1220; 07-11-2018 at 11:56 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
... Doki Doki Literature Club...
I had no idea what this game was and my brother made me stream it as I played it.

Spoiler:
I started the "second play through" and was pretty freaked out that I had to take a break. I might continue again Friday or Saturday night... but it's still messed up. Especially when I think about all the times family members / loved ones have said almost word-for-word what the characters say at times...
Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 PM
SOA

Actually another game you could include is Clash Royale. I play it casually now, but I used to finish in top 10k on ladder rankings consistently and is a game I used to grind a ton last year.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
That being said, I've always been hesitant and shied away from taking the next jump and trying to join competitive leagues/teams for the games I grind. I could probably join a PUBG team and try to start competing in various events and could also really try to get serious with RL and try to grind for the highest ranks, but it is like a border I back off from with my gaming. Dunno. Only games I really played in competitions and stuff were Counterstrike 1.6 and Call of Duty 4.

I could see a good Battlefield release catching me for a bit, but who knows.
Playing too competitively sucks all the fun out of games. Trying to hit certain ranks really ruined RB6 for me for a while, and recently it's been taking some of the fun out of Rocket League.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one