Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM
CAS

thanks for all the info. cricket looks like the best option for us - thanks for the tip ahow
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
thanks for all the info. cricket looks like the best option for us - thanks for the tip ahow
Sometimes it pays to be married to a Canadian.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:54 AM
CAS

made the switch from Net10 to Cricket this weekend. incredibly painful.

decided to go through Game Stop to get it done. they waive the activation fee and give you a $25 gift card per line, so that's like free $100 for 2 lines (activation is ~$25). porting was a problem, activation was a problem. all in it took me 6 or 7 hours to get it all done, and i had to go to a stand alone Cricket store to the get the second line done.

should have gone to a Cricket store in the first place, or done it myself online. effing process took WAY too much of my weekend

i've never had this much difficulty porting a number

Game Stop refunded the cost of the SIM card and my first month's service for the device they were able to complete. Cricket didn't charge me the usual activation fee for the second phone.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 PM
CAS

Haha, I switched this weekend as well moving from Straight Talk to Cricket.

I started the activation just before midnight on Saturday and they got about 99% of the way there, but required me to call Straight Talk to complete the "release" of the two ported numbers. Then I had to call Cricket back and go through a 20 minute story of everything up to that point. Once I had that cleared up a reboot got us up and running.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
We are prepping to switch from Straight Talk (similar to Net10) to Cricket. It uses AT&T's network and includes free Canada/Mexico roaming (limited to 50% of usage over a rolling 3 months) and calling/texting to Canada/Mexico. The plan is $50 (minus $5 for autopay) and the each additional line is an extra $10 off. So for our two lines which are $45+$45=$90 now will be $45+$35=$80. It also includes 8gb of data instead of 5gb.

Link:
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
Not a deal breaker, but just a heads up that you EITHER get the $5 autopay credit OR the multiline discount, not both. It never says this anywhere except the multiline T&Cs (and actually implies the opposite various places including on the Payments page).
Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Not sure how much data you guys are looking for, but it's $40/month (with autopay; $45 without) for 6 GB of highspeed data and unlimited slower data, calls to Canada and Mexico and roaming in Canada and Mexico (though 50% U.S. usage required) from AT&T. I think the change to the plan happened last week.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/pl...one&plan=basic
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
Not sure how much data you guys are looking for, but it's $40/month (with autopay; $45 without) for 6 GB of highspeed data and unlimited slower data, calls to Canada and Mexico and roaming in Canada and Mexico (though 50% U.S. usage required) from AT&T. I think the change to the plan happened last week.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/pl...one&plan=basic
This is mostly identical to the Cricket plans. The main difference is Cricket is $5 more expensive but gives 8gb of data. Also, the Cricket multiline discount is more generous ($10,$20, $30, $40, total $100 per month max) vs AT&T ($5, $10, $15, $20, total $50 per month max).
# lines, Cricket price vs AT&T price
1 line, $50 vs $45
2 line, $90 vs $85
3 line, $120 vs $120
4 line, $140 vs $150
5 line, $150 vs $175
Old 04-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
This is mostly identical to the Cricket plans. The main difference is Cricket is $5 more expensive but gives 8gb of data. Also, the Cricket multiline discount is more generous ($10,$20, $30, $40, total $100 per month max) vs AT&T ($5, $10, $15, $20, total $50 per month max).
# lines, Cricket price vs AT&T price
1 line, $50 vs $45
2 line, $90 vs $85
3 line, $120 vs $120
4 line, $140 vs $150
5 line, $150 vs $175
It's just me and I suspect that I'm 2-4 gb shy of using 6 gb of data/month, so works for me.