Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-03-2017, 02:33 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Until LastPass stops being forthright in disclosing vulnerabilities or intrusions, I'll stick with them. The way I look at is that every piece of software has vulnerabilities, so I'll stick to a proven honest company.

Additionally, passwords are too important to go without a password manager, IMO.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Until LastPass stops being forthright in disclosing vulnerabilities or intrusions, I'll stick with them. The way I look at is that every piece of software has vulnerabilities, so I'll stick to a proven honest company.

Additionally, passwords are too important to go without a password manager, IMO.
pretty much what SG said
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Steve Gibson has a neat utility called the Haystack calculator (needle in a haystack). Adding a few characters to any password can increase the time to defeat a brute force password attack from a few minutes to a few centuries:
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Now offering online seminars, live seminars, and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1
Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM
CAS

1Password just introduced Travel Mode which I hope LastPass copies. Basically, when you turn on travel mode, it completely clears the vaults you don't mark as "travel safe". It doesn't just hide them, it securely deletes them from your devices. Plus it shows no indication items are missing so it has plausible deniability built in.

Pretty sweet feature.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/05/1...ssing-borders/
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
1Password just introduced Travel Mode which I hope LastPass copies. Basically, when you turn on travel mode, it completely clears the vaults you don't mark as "travel safe". It doesn't just hide them, it securely deletes them from your devices. Plus it shows no indication items are missing so it has plausible deniability built in.

Pretty sweet feature.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/05/1...ssing-borders/
i don't get it - what's the point/advantage?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i don't get it - what's the point/advantage?
In the US, courts have ruled that border agents do not need a warrant to search your devices.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/b...ones.html?_r=0

2013-2014 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2016-2017 EPL Prediction Contest Champion
Old 05-25-2017, 10:51 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInTexas View Post
In the US, courts have ruled that border agents do not need a warrant to search your devices.
Agents have been given broad searching authority, and they have been using that authority to extend it to digital devices. I'm not sure that border agents searching your digital devices has actually been tested in the courts yet.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Agents have been given broad searching authority, and they have been using that authority to extend it to digital devices. I'm not sure that border agents searching your digital devices has actually been tested in the courts yet.
I don't believe it's seen a court yet either, but it is basically assumed that there is a 100 mile Constitution-free zone near the borders and also at airports.

The advantage is that if you are compelled at the border to unlock your vault, you could contain the damage of revealing passwords to whatever you chose as travel approved.

The fact that the vaults not approved for travel are completely removed from the device and can only be readded from a separate device adds plausible deniability that you literally can't get to them.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Hackers have gained access to OneLogin, an online password manager that offers a single sign-on to multiple websites and services.

OneLogin said in a blog post that it couldn't rule out the possibility that hackers got keys to reading encrypted data, such as stored passwords.

Published reports, however, say OneLogin informed customers that the hackers indeed got that capability.
https://phys.org/news/2017-06-hacker...-onelogin.html

There is one thing of primary importance I would expect from a password manager, security for the passwords.

Last edited by echo; 06-02-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
https://phys.org/news/2017-06-hacker...-onelogin.html

There is one thing of primary importance I would expect from a password manager, security for the passwords.
This just seems odd. On LastPass, your passwords are stored as a private key encrypted blob on LastPass's servers. That means unless they got the encryption key for LastPass's server AND the private key (master password) that I personally control, they really can't do much.

Leaving the server encryption as the only line of defense for a password manager is just stupid and lazy.