Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
Groovy. DLing now.
far out, man. dig it
Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
(Aside, prompted by thoughts of the OP3T, the Pixel, and recent software updates: Am I alone in missing "Google Now On Tap" and thinking that Assistant on the phone is pretty meh?)
The biggest thing I miss from Now On Tap is the OCR reader when on a picture of text. I didn't know I got upgraded to assistant so my wife sent me a screenshot of the wifi password and I was going copy paste it from the picture, but NOPE, not happening.

Other than that, assistant is ok. I like that you can have a follow up conversation since sometimes I ask for the address of a restaurant and then want to know what time it is open till or something like that.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:42 AM
CAS

Nevermind. Just this morning I tried to scan a QR code and Google Assistant was a total flop. I then went to the language settings, selected English (US Virgin Islands), deleted English (US), and Now on Tap is back. Assistant is gone. I also made a feature request to add OCR text selection and QR code reading to Assistant.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:45 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I then went to the language settings, selected English (US Virgin Islands), deleted English (US), and Now on Tap is back.
Hmm. Noted for potential future usement. (Not that I have much call to scan QRs.) (And doesn't seem like a long-term fix, but maybe a stopgap until Assistent gets more betterer.)

Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Hey, possibly dumb question, but shouldn't the microphone on my OP3T still be listening for "OK Google" when I've got it aux-plugged into my car stereo? 'Cause it ain't.

Software setting? Something about the particular el-cheapo cable I'm using? I wonder if it's disabling the phone mic in expectation that what it thinks is a set of earphones has its own microphone.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 PM
SOA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Rochefort Trappistes 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Thanks for the mini-review. I'm using a Blackberry Priv (go ahead and laugh at me) and I'm toying with buying a Pixel, so I'm very interested in this.

I'm used to this, and okay with it. (Maybe I could move mine, I've never tried. I use that bar all the time, so a prominent location is good for me.)

I haven't had an IR blaster forever. It would be nice, but I don't need it.

I snooze my alarm on the screen...
I find I tend to toggle the volume buttons all the time, mostly taking the phone out of my pocket, I think. I don't like it, but I don't know any phones where I wouldn't have trouble.

Hmm, that's too bad. That's about where my battery is, but it used to be better, and I'm thinking of replacing it.

Can't you save a shortcut on a screen?

I've never had a power button on the front (I do like the "tap screen to wake up" feature I have now, though) and the smaller size is a benefit to me. My phone is too large.

If you really like the Samsung experience, I think you should trade it back and wait. There are all sorts of petty little things that matter to people, and if you are going to be missing Samsung features it will make you enjoy the phone less.
I think it just took some getting used to.

I downloaded Pie Control which was really handy, but I think I'm used to the new back button location now.

I found out how to add location to the quick settings.

I played around with the camera and really like it. I made some 240fps slow-mo videos, and made some ultra-high resolution pictures that look way better than the GN4.

Originally the USB-C cord would not charge my phone unless it was using the wall adapter. Reset the phone and it works fine now. I think I might wind up getting a battery case for the phone.

My only real negative experience now is that it drops wi-fi seemingly randomly. I play some wi-fi peer-to-peer games and seemed to get disconnected rather frequently.

Last edited by db20; 03-31-2017 at 01:33 PM..
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM
CAS

I think someone asked about customizing the bottom nav bar a while back, so I thought I'd share this:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04...avigation-bar/
Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 PM

just bought me a shiny new samsung galaxy s8. am excited

my s6 was having phone seizures after i played pokemon go in the rain yet again yesterday. she has phone seizures almost every time i do that, but i did it anyway. i figured it was time to just put her to pasture.
Spoiler:
Old 05-06-2017, 10:20 PM

i did not buy a screen protector for it because the online reviews i saw said that the screen protector makes the phone unusable. so now i'm a little paranoid that i'm gonna break the screen and that was the worst decision of my life.

i kept the plastic film that came with it to protect from finger prints and such.
Spoiler:
Old 05-07-2017, 09:31 AM
CAS

If it works with that plastic film, it will work with the higher-quality plastic (tpu -- also used to protect airplanes, whee) films sold as screen protectors. I've used skinomi and some other brand whose name escapes me. Both have been very good. Because it's slightly soft, it gives some impact/crack protection as well as scratch protection.