Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM
SOA AAA

College: Meeeshigan
Favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted IPA & New Holland's Dragon's Milk

You can find some Mersenne Twister information and code from this website...the usual caveats certainly apply. It's part of Makoto Matsumoto's homepage (he is one of the developers of the MT).

http://www.math.sci.hiroshima-u.ac.j...at/MT/emt.html
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

So, you do your own testing of RNG? I use @Risk, and just sort of accepted that the RNG they use is 'random' enough. The current version uses the Mersenne Twister as a default (with 7 other options available), plus a stratified sampling technique if you want called Latin Hypercube, which I've never looked into other than to know it's a stratified sampling technique.

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is now controlled by its system of credit. We are no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men." -- Woodrow Wilson

It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in. -- Elizabeth May

???? Jan 20: Freedom for the Bill of Rights

1 2
Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Here is a free implementation of Mersenne Twister for Excel. This is my favorite PRNG [currently]:

http://www.numtech.com/documents/res...re-numeric.php
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

NIST resources on testing a PRNG:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/rng/index.html

Another suite of PRNG tests:
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/dieharder.php
Old 07-17-2009, 03:48 PM

I think I am about to wade into something well beyond my pay grade.

I will start by saying that in the simulations that I have created, I use Excel, VB and seed the rnd/random funtions in VB. I do this so that I have the same randoms to see what the changes in assumptions caused in the results and not worry that is was due to a change in the randoms.

I find it somewhat amusing about auditors who check to see if random numbers fit a pattern. In the end don't you need a random number generator that is sufficiantly random for the number of simulations that you are running. For instance, one poster mentioned random numbers that don't repete for 1 trillion randoms. Wouldn't within that series of randoms there be groups of numbers that are not distributed randomly. So if it is random over 1 trillion, it might not be random over a 1 milllion subset. There must be one of the one million, one milllions that would not fit the pattern the auditors want.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWarner View Post
I find it somewhat amusing about auditors who check to see if random numbers fit a pattern. In the end don't you need a random number generator that is sufficiantly random for the number of simulations that you are running. For instance, one poster mentioned random numbers that don't repete for 1 trillion randoms. Wouldn't within that series of randoms there be groups of numbers that are not distributed randomly. So if it is random over 1 trillion, it might not be random over a 1 milllion subset. There must be one of the one million, one milllions that would not fit the pattern the auditors want.
Thing is, if you're not specific about what constitutes a pattern before you look at a sequence, you are almost definitely going to find something that you will consider a pattern, even if the sequence were perfectly "random". A rough search yields this: http://www.fourmilab.ch/rpkp/experim...tatistics.html -- search on "999999"

For the randomness tests mentioned in my above links, you need to produce a lot of numbers to test the PRNG. It's not just a matter of the numbers being uniformly distributed, there are other things [such as doubles, triples, etc. having the right distributions].
Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Question: is RAND() random? Meaning, can you create a program that predicts the next number it will create?
RAND() is not random, and its output can be predicted. The fundamental issue with generating random numbers on a computer is that software is deterministic--if you run a program multiple times with the same inputs*, you'll get the same outputs every time. Whether this is a problem or not depends on how hard to predict your sequence needs to be. For most purposes, something like a Mersenne Twister implementation is fine--that's much harder to learn than something like RAND() (at least as far as we know)--but if you need something that absolutely can't be predicted, you're looking at buying specialized hardware**.

*: For purposes of this discussion, let's ignore issues of statefulness and assume that everything the program uses to compute its output is part of the current input.
**: The major CPU manufacturers have discussed including random number generators in future chipsets, but so far as I know, no one has concrete plans to do so.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Remember, there are multiple purposes for uses of PRNGs.

For Monte Carlo [trying to estimate an integral, generate a probability distribution/histogram, what-have-you] determinism/predictability is not necessarily a bad thing.

For cryptography, determinism/predictability is dangerous, which is why MT is not considered cryptographically sound.

Last edited by campbell; 07-17-2009 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: why am I using weasel words?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Remember, there are multiple purposes for uses of PRNGs.

For Monte Carlo [trying to estimate an integral, generate a probability distribution/histogram, what-have-you] determinism/predictability is not necessarily a bad thing.

For cryptography, determinism/predictability is dangerous, which is why MT is not considered cryptographically sound.

That is a superb concise statement on this subject. It basically boils down to this, IMO.
If you are just doing Monte Carlo, you can do a practical test of your PRNG by using it on problems that are similar to what you are working with but have known exact solutions and see how well your simulation does.

Example: Try the Birthday Problem using simulations on various sample sizes and compare to the exact results. How well does RAND() work? VBA Rnd? Something else?

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Bottle of suds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWarner View Post
For instance, one poster mentioned random numbers that don't repete for 1 trillion randoms. Wouldn't within that series of randoms there be groups of numbers that are not distributed randomly. So if it is random over 1 trillion, it might not be random over a 1 milllion subset. There must be one of the one million, one milllions that would not fit the pattern the auditors want.
Spoilered for Dilbert:
Spoiler:

Tags
data science, excel, predictive analytics, prngs, pseudorandom numbers, rand, random