Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Good points.

I'll knock the kid concern off my list since it would be my kid. Plus I've got twins, so when one gets tired, I'll just swap them out.
What are the hourly rates?

My kid pays me $.25 to tie his shoes (and at his age, yes, I keep the quarter). Maybe we could work out a deal. I can quit tying my son's shoes and you won't have to pay for the book light holder.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
What are the hourly rates?

My kid pays me $.25 to tie his shoes (and at his age, yes, I keep the quarter). Maybe we could work out a deal. I can quit tying my son's shoes and you won't have to pay for the book light holder.
You would be required to pay for my travel time, so it could get expensive.

To bring this thread back around, here are my favorite apps. All these are free:
1) Handcent SMS (hat tip to E)
2) Twicca twitter client
3) Astro file browser (hat tip to E)
4) Dropbox
5) Dolphin Browser HD
6) MortPlayer media player

I wish more programs came with widgets.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
Nook runs on Android. Maybe the new $150 wi-fi only one is what I should look at...

http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page
I am interested in that.

Some plus:
WIFI is free at any AT&T WIFI hotspot. http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=13540
Can add broswer, facebook and twitter.
Excellent battery life with removable battery
as USB storage unit for backup storage
microSF

$150, that is less than 1/3 ipad. It is not Ipad and was never meant to be one. It was designed to be an ebook reader and its screen technology is e-ink type. The screen is not as beautiful as LCD/LED screen but it much easier on the eyes and battery. Good for email client and newspaper reader. The cpu is ARM1176ZJF running at 533/667MHz which is about as good as of many lower end Android smartphone. Nook would certainly benefit greatly from Froyo OS update. Given that large number of nook other, I think it is highly likely to see an update either from BN (less likely) or the developer communities (much more likely).
Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM

One way to improve your Android device's performance and battery further is the thru the use of overclock/undervolt approach.

Overclock means running your CPU faster than factory set.
Undervolt means use less voltage for CPU that factory value.

The easiest way do that is to update you OS kernel from XDA (or other website) for you particular type of phone.
Combining that the autoset cpu that throttle the CPU on demand. You can achieve pretty good results. Make sure you use kernels that have been around for awhile and is staple (read the comments)
Old 06-24-2010, 03:59 AM

For multimedia enthusiast , you can beta test the RockPlayer .

It can play most kinds of video files including avi, mkv, rmvb, flv, mp4, 3gp, wmv, mov, asf, divx, xvid, and h264 formats. This version supports android versions from 1.6 to 2.2.

Looks very promising. It is kinda like Media Player Classic with codec pack. (or maybe VLC).
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

I guess I'll begin using this thread to dump random thoughts about Android phones going forward since the other threads have device-specific titles, which have now gone out of date. How fast we move forward now.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

Registration is open for all of our spring 2018 FSA exam online seminars:

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

VZW just announced that anyone who is up for a contract renewal in 2010--including those eligible for annual upgrades as primary account holders--can immediately upgrade to the Droid X. I'm seriously considering doing this. The Droid has been fun, but the multi-touch keyboard on the Droid X really impresses me in video demos. This is the closest to iPhone typing I've seen so far on an Android device. Not even the EVO offers a multi-touch keyboard. Watch the 2nd embedded video on this page to see a direct comparison. I think this would let me finally peaceably part with a physical keyboard.

The biggest unknown (that matters to me) is info on the Droid X's battery life. I'm hoping that they put a better battery in it. If the battery is at least as good as the Droid's, I'll probably make the switch.

My only other slight reservation is the larger size of the Droid X, but I don't think that will be a big issue. If anything, it probably makes typing easier, which is a big plus for me.

Oh, and for those that think that making this kind of switch is expensive, keep in mind that you can sell your existing phone on ebay free of contract to cover the cost. Right now, the original Droid is going for over $200 (the cost of the Droid X). If anything, you'll make a little money.

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Last edited by E; 06-24-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

While the multitouch keyboard is interesting, I'm not really sure it would even matter. I was using the stock EVO keyboard for 2 weeks before I got Swype and I never had an issue with multitouch. That being said, it doesn't hurt and is a nice feature.

I was just reading notes from the press conference yesterday and boy did Verizon dump an entire 5 gallon bucket of egg on AT&T's face. Everyone was speculating that Verizon was bringing the tiered data plans, but it was quite the shocker when someone asked if the unlimited data was with a 5gb cap. Verizon said nope, unlimited is unlimited. Tethering is $20 for 2gb, which I'm fine with since they probably want to give people a reason to keep buying data cards and I consider tethering to be an "in case you need it" type of feature. Plus there is always rooting if you don't want to pay.

Currently the EVO and the Droid X are going to be the two truly unlimited options out there. We'll see if AT&T holds their ground.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
While the multitouch keyboard is interesting, I'm not really sure it would even matter. I was using the stock EVO keyboard for 2 weeks before I got Swype and I never had an issue with multitouch. That being said, it doesn't hurt and is a nice feature.

I was just reading notes from the press conference yesterday and boy did Verizon dump an entire 5 gallon bucket of egg on AT&T's face. Everyone was speculating that Verizon was bringing the tiered data plans, but it was quite the shocker when someone asked if the unlimited data was with a 5gb cap. Verizon said nope, unlimited is unlimited. Tethering is $20 for 2gb, which I'm fine with since they probably want to give people a reason to keep buying data cards and I consider tethering to be an "in case you need it" type of feature. Plus there is always rooting if you don't want to pay.

Currently the EVO and the Droid X are going to be the two truly unlimited options out there. We'll see if AT&T holds their ground.
The network vs hardware battle will rage on. Should be interesting. At the end of the day, I have to choose network over hardware. It just means more to me.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 PM

It would be great if we can change the heading of this thread to "All things Android"

"Android: resistance is futile" works for me too.