Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
This might be a "who cares" type of thing but I just found out that if I hold my home button on my EVO, it pops up the last 6 apps I had running. Had no idea this existed.
Yep, that's an Android thing. I recommend long pressing everything. There are so many hidden menus and things like that.

Other notables:

• Long pressing the global search button brings up voice search.
  • Long pressing anywhere on the home screen brings up the add widget/shortcut menu
  • Long pressing text messages lets you copy, paste, etc
  • Long pressing emails, voice messages, etc. lets you archive, delete, and so forth.
  • Long pressing the back button in the browser brings up history.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

Registration is open for all of our spring 2018 FSA exam online seminars:

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 06-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Favorite beer: Yes

Droid X available for preorder starting today at Best Buy, $199 without the stupid mail in rebate. May have to stop by my Best Buy.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

It's all but certain I will exercise the early upgrade option and get the Droid X in July. But I'm going to watch early reports after it's released first.

Beta testers aren't giving away a lot of meaningful info right now.

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Don't wait until end of summer, E.
After getting Droid X, you can upgrade your Droid to Froyo and overclock it to 1300mhz without worries. Just make sure you have your AC turned up all the way.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Don't wait until end of summer, E.
After getting Droid X, you can upgrade your Droid to Froyo and overclock it to 1300mhz without worries. Just make sure you have your AC turned up all the way.
I'm thinking that upgrading in July is a must if I'm going to upgrade. If I wait until the fall, Verizon will almost certainly announce an LTE device the day after I get out of the return period.

Honestly, I've resigned myself to the fact that I will probably pay an ETF or something in the next 12 months. Devices are coming out so fast now.

Mobile phones are probably cheapest utility I have per unit. In other words, I use it a lot, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Well, the thing is, my 6 months old N1 is perfectly fine (a bit overkill actually) for what I need to do now and maybe even for another year or 2. In the mean time, there will faster and sexier phones coming but I am ok with that. Kinda like the digital camera thing, my DSLR is one year old but it still can produce pictures way beyond what I can fully use (I have a full-frame DSLR).
Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Well, the thing is, my 6 months old N1 is perfectly fine (a bit overkill actually) for what I need to do now and maybe even for another year or 2. In the mean time, there will faster and sexier phones coming but I am ok with that. Kinda like the digital camera thing, my DSLR is one year old but it still can produce pictures way beyond what I can fully use (I have a full-frame DSLR).
If the keyboard is better on the Droid X, it will be worth the upgrade. That's really what I'm after--better multi-touch typing.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
If the keyboard is better on the Droid X, it will be worth the upgrade. That's really what I'm after--better multi-touch typing.
FYI, I read today that someone has already ripped the multi touch keyboard out of the Droid X and it is working (though without haptic feedback) on other Android phones.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/2...=Google+Reader
Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
FYI, I read today that someone has already ripped the multi touch keyboard out of the Droid X and it is working (though without haptic feedback) on other Android phones.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/2...=Google+Reader
Nice. I just loaded this version:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/24...-from-droid-x/

First impressions are good. Very fast. Definite improvement.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

They also brought the comma back to the main keyboard by creating a ".," key. Single tapping makes a period. Double tapping makes a comma.

Some people were saying this keyboard breaks the speech to text, but it works fine for me.

Only works in Android 2.1, so if you've already jumped to 2.2, you'll have to wait for someone to repackage it.

Thanks to no driver for pointing this out.

Last edited by E; 06-25-2010 at 05:43 PM..