Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

No problem. Now I need to convince my wife that we should get HTC Arias. I think she's mostly ambivalent about them due to the extra $30-50/mo for data plans since we don't have smartphones now. Anyone care to share what apps, uses, etc particularly appeal to women? I've read about these phones so much lately I don't even know where to begin... I feel like I know what they can do but it's from a bunch of different sources, and I need to distill it down because she doesn't have the time or interest to look into it herself. Perhaps if I tell her that I can read the FAP materials anytime I have a few minutes to kill...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
No problem. Now I need to convince my wife that we should get HTC Arias. I think she's mostly ambivalent about them due to the extra $30-50/mo for data plans since we don't have smartphones now. Anyone care to share what apps, uses, etc particularly appeal to women? I've read about these phones so much lately I don't even know where to begin... I feel like I know what they can do but it's from a bunch of different sources, and I need to distill it down because she doesn't have the time or interest to look into it herself. Perhaps if I tell her that I can read the FAP materials anytime I have a few minutes to kill...
I took Mrs. Weasley into a store to see/touch a Droid when they were new. The salesman did a good job of figuring out what she would be interested in. It backfired a little bit, because after she thought about it a day or two, she didn't want one because she felt that it would be too much of a temptation to walk around with and play with all day.

OTOH, she also saw that it would be a good business tool for me, so persuading her to get a phone and data plan for me was easy.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
I showed my wife Shazam and she loved that. She has a BlackBerry currently so I make it a point to show her the same things she uses on a BB, only better.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Alright, I figured out a cool tweak. If you go to your Settings menu and go to Applications, there is a Development option. One of the check boxes is to Stay Awake meaning your screen will stay lit when the phone is plugged in. It will dim to about 10% after your timeout period, but it is nice if you use your phone as a bed-side clock.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

For anyone that has had more than 1 Android phone or done a ROM upgrade that started fresh, are you able to simply re-download all of your apps (free and paid) by going to the Downloads portion of Android Market? In other words, does it keep up with all of your apps and tie them to your Google account? Thanks.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

Registration is open for all of our fall 2017 FSA exam online seminars:

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Favorite beer: Yes

Debating between a Droid X and EVO, what does everyone think? Also, anyone know when EVO's will be back in stock?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinda View Post
Debating between a Droid X and EVO, what does everyone think? Also, anyone know when EVO's will be back in stock?
The bigger question should be the network and which one works best for you. If Sprint doesn't give you what you need - go with the Droid X.

The second question should be the cost. Sprint is cheaper than Verizon. So, if its giving the coverage you need - the cost may very well make the Evo the better choice. Although, if you have to break your Verizon contract - the consequences may overtake the price differential.

The final question is the hardware. I don't think there is such a dramatic difference in the hardware that would make one obviously more superior than the other to the degree that it would overcome network and price.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinda View Post
This is a Sprint vs Verizon question. These 2 devices are more or less equal in feature set.

Spint pros:

• 4G network (in a few places)
  • Cheaper plan
Verizon pro:

• Much larger 3G network
Me? I'd pick Verizon if monthly cost is not an issue. I'd rather be on a pretty fast network that is everywhere than a fast network that is more limited in scope.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

Registration is open for all of our fall 2017 FSA exam online seminars:

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn

Last edited by E; 07-06-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: De Garde EoC

Check for Verizon corporate discounts as well. Not well advertised, but if you work for a large company the odds are very good that a discount exists.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Favorite beer: Yes

Yeah, I would get 24% discount at Verizon, but also would have a discount with Sprint (not sure the %). I do also live in ATL with a solid 4G Sprint network.

I am switching from AT&T, so I don't have to worry about breaking contracts. I may just see which one is available first and go with that one.