Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-18-2010, 10:40 AM
CAS

Default Online Password Manager

I find it difficult to remember/manage all my logon id's and passwords and I'm looking for an online solution. I want to be able to log on somewhere to retrieve whatever id/pw I need. Any ideas? I downloaded "lastpass" but haven't looked at it yet.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

I think it really boils down to this:

Windows users should use LastPass.

Mac users should use 1Password.

Both are great. They not only increase your information security, they seriously increase productivity.

Example: I want to sign into my bank. I press a keyboard shortcut, start typing the first few letters of the site. 1Password searches my password database. It shows me the bank. I hit enter. It not only goes to that site, it fills in my username and password. I'm in.

I don't know my passwords, and I don't care. They're super long and virtually impossible to crack using modern brute force methods. They're also different for all my sites. But I never have to type them, so I don't care.

Security and productivity.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

Registration is open for all of our fall 2017 FSA exam online seminars:

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | G&H Core | G&H Advanced | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

i have an excel file to store my passwords.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
I think it really boils down to this:

Windows users should use LastPass.

Mac users should use 1Password.

Both are great. They not only increase your information security, they seriously increase productivity.
Example: I want to sign into my bank. I press a keyboard shortcut, start typing the first few letters of the site. 1Password searches my password database. It shows me the bank. I hit enter. It not only goes to that site, it fills in my username and password. I'm in.

I don't know my passwords, and I don't care. They're super long and virtually impossible to crack using modern brute force methods. They're also different for all my sites. But I never have to type them, so I don't care.

Security and productivity.
Exaggerate much? I understand your point, but how often do you really need any given password that not having to look it up and type them would "seriously increase productivity"?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Exaggerate much? I understand your point, but how often do you really need any given password that not having to look it up and type them would "seriously increase productivity"?
How many times a year do you type passwords?

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

Registration is open for all of our fall 2017 FSA exam online seminars:

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | G&H Core | G&H Advanced | G&H Specialty

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, brand new R material, and more!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
How many times a year do you type passwords?
Other than the password for my work computer, maybe a couple different passwords averaging 0.25 - 1 per week (so we'll say I type a password 2x per week) but it is on 3 different computers (not sure if the software you are talking about is a single computer or web-based).

Most of the password protected sites I visit I am automatically logged in (like gmail or here).

Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for the rest of my life

Quote:
That's E for ya. Welcome to S&T.

**** Juan.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
i have an excel file to store my passwords.
Me too.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Absolutely not. Here is an example of one of my passwords (note, not actual password, just an example of what one might look like):

g943UJ$7eA7d52ax

Its virtually uncrackable, no one could ever remember it, when I go to the bank/email/facebook website, a yellow bar pops up at the top of the site saying, "Do you want to log in?" I click the "Log In" button and it pastes a 16+ randomized password containing upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols in for me. No only that, but I can share access to my accounts without revealing the password to them. Helpful if I am going to need someone to check an account for me while I'm away. I have 84 sites that I've save the username and passwords for.

I would actually argue that site that you don't log in to often are prime sites to use something like LastPass for since there are sites I visit every few months and it usually takes a couple of guesses as to whether the username is one of three that I use on different sites or an email address. Then I have to remember which version of my password I used. If I fail at either of these, I have to do the "Forgot password/username" route and then I have to remember my security question answers.

From a security standpoint, password managers keep your password obfuscated when entering it into a form so keyloggers and other viruses and malware can't get to it.

Unless you just don't go online, I would recommend this as a recommended tool for browsing.