Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
We could get a 5 person AO team up and running potentially based on the people who have replied in the thread.
I'd be willing to try this. But it's time for me to confess the REAL reason why I don't play ranked: I'm afraid of sucking.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I'd be willing to try this. But it's time for me to confess the REAL reason why I don't play ranked: I'm afraid of sucking.
Eh, with a 5 person AO team I wouldn't be worried about it too much as I don't think we would be the most competitive team out there.

One way I have gotten better rather quickly is by watching commentators and learning strategies.

I've done this is several ways.
- Learning about the abilities of champs I don't play so I know how to play against them somewhat
- Learning more in depth build guides or mechanics (unit control) for the champs I do use by going onto YouTube or websites such as mobafire or lolking
- Watching professional streams on twitch.tv (which you can stream through your Xbox or computer or tablet or smartphone) as the commentators there provide some really good insight and allow you to get a better feel for how the game flows
- Messing around in a custom game with a champion that is on free week to get a feel for how they play (similar to the first point I made)

All of that made me comfortable enough to start playing ranked once I was level 30. I've read in other places that you should only play ranked once you have like 300-400 normal wins or so, but I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
SOA

Studying for GHCore

Shouldn't play ranked until you can play every position at least adequately. You don't have to master them all but be able to fill in when your last pick. The AO team will be awesome. Twitch is the best place to learn, whatever position you main watch the streamer that plays that. Helps a lot.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: porters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileron31527 View Post
Wow you must have a stickler of a girlfriend if that's the reason for you not being able to play, haha.
She'd let me play, I just don't think it would be a good idea to introduce crack into the relationship.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
SOA

Studying for GHCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
She'd let me play, I just don't think it would be a good idea to introduce crack into the relationship.
Bro, we need you for 5's. Just take a taste....
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Non-Actuary

Look for an friend request from Descalzo.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Non-Actuary

I play with QMO a lot. Too much, maybe. Anyways, I'm wanting to soak it up before the babies show up.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I play with QMO a lot. Too much, maybe. Anyways, I'm wanting to soak it up before the babies show up.
Same here except for the whole baby part. Mine is just trying to avoid studying

But yeah, www.twitch.tv for real.

Check in on it tomorrow evening like 5-8ish and their will be an official League of Legends stream up. Great place to learn.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness0632 View Post
Bro, we need you for 5's. Just take a taste....
Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM

I just started playing a few weeks ago. I'm only level 14, and so far I've only got three champions I feel comfortable with, Miss Fortune, Teemo and Cho'Gath. I don't like the fact that I have to relearn how to play every time I go up a few levels. When I first started, I always had to buy Doran's Ring for MF because otherwise I was running out of mana and her E was being wasted. But then I got a few more mastery slots and filled up mana regen, so I didn't need it any more. Every time I think I'm learning the game, it changes.

Also that I sometimes find myself playing against players of much higher or lower level than I am. The first time I tried Cho I didn't feel very much like a tank, but after the game was over I saw it was because I was in a lane against someone 6 levels higher. Once I was even put in a game against a level 30! It wasn't even fun.

Still, I really enjoy the game but this getting to level 30 just feels like a pointless grind. Just give me all the runes and masteries now so that I can figure out how to use them by the time I get to level 30.
The fisherman comes up, puts his two poles in the sand. He stares out at the sea, just exactly like me, but I've got a book in my hand. We will have caught on to something by the end of the day. But mostly we think about the one that got away.