Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbies View Post
FML.. I wanted to sign up for beta, but I forgot my b.net password, and I can't reset it because it's tied to my old cell phone number which I no longer have
The chances of getting in beta are very small right now. I think beta keys are gong for almost $500 at the moment. There are 500 more being released today through Facebook, but in general very few have access to the beta. If you want to check out the game, the best thing to do is to go to twitch.tv and view their Hearthstone section.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
SOA AAA

Well I want to sign up at least! I wonder when the real game will come out..
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM
CAS

Sounds interesting. I just decided to take a break from a different game. I'll take a look at this tonight.

But in the meantime, can you explain the non-card aspect? I've played MtG and other similar games before. But I was wondering how the "world of warcraft" element was mixed in.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillgreen View Post
Sounds interesting. I just decided to take a break from a different game. I'll take a look at this tonight.

But in the meantime, can you explain the non-card aspect? I've played MtG and other similar games before. But I was wondering how the "world of warcraft" element was mixed in.
You don't need to know anything about WoW to play the game. All the characters come from WoW, which is a huge universe of characters at this point which means they can do many expansions. If you play WoW, then you'll recognize that classes in the card game (e.g. shaman or mage) play in a similar fashion to a shaman or mage in World of Warcraft.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
CAS

Watched a few videos of this game. It looks great! I signed up for beta through bnet but I rarely make it in. We'll see this time around (crosses fingers).

So for some reason, I thought the game had WoW mechanics built in. But it's a straight up card game but with a warcraft theme. Not a bad thing but just stating that in case other people thought the same as me.

The interface looks nice and clean. I do like some of the mechanics (choosing who you attack, taunt and hero abilities). It'll be nice be able to play a quality quick game rather than the "session" games I'm used to.

In the official site, they have a video of people playing it on a tablet which is pretty convenient. It's also a game I can see my wife getting into so I look forward to playing with her.

Thanks for bringing this up CR!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM

I think it's the new gaming crack. League of Legends will likely still be #1, but I think Hearthstone is going to take over quite a bit of the online gaming community. Although it sounds strange, I think that Hearthstone is going to cannibalize WoW (which is already in decline anyway) to a certain degree.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM
SOA AAA

Yeah, I watched a bunch of videos last night. With some previous card game knowledge it's not hard to figure out all the mechanics from watching people play. I hate watching because I always want to cringe when I see people make poor plays ><
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I watched a bunch of videos last night. With some previous card game knowledge it's not hard to figure out all the mechanics from watching people play. I hate watching because I always want to cringe when I see people make poor plays ><
You should watch a streamer on Twitch called TrumpSC. He nearly always makes good decisions and is a quality player. He's not annoying, either. Usually he has the top-3 amount of viewers for Hearthstone, so he should be easy to find.

All those streamers are seriously addicted - like 20+ hours a day addicted. Imagine when there are true ranking boards and real tournaments.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM
SOA AAA

I watched Trump for a while and it was entertaining..now the hype has kind of died (at least in the US). I think the game is still promising though when it comes out for wide release
Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I watched Trump for a while and it was entertaining..now the hype has kind of died (at least in the US). I think the game is still promising though when it comes out for wide release
I'm not sure the hype has died - every time I look at twitch there seems to be more viewers than last time. I don't think it was a good idea for Blizzard to have more than a week or two beta since the game doesn't seem like it needed it. I'm getting a bit burned out on the game through just watching it, and my interest is waning. However, with that said, I'm definitely going to play.