Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here
Default Sonos

So I've been looking for a solution to play all my music on the cloud at home. One solution is to get a dedicated device such as a Sonos, wondering if anyone has any experience with this. There are various levels of the device, and am considering purchase.
low end: http://www.amazon.com/SONOS-PLAY-Com...keywords=sonos

mid: http://www.amazon.com/SONOS-Wireless...keywords=sonos

high: http://www.amazon.com/SONOS-Wireless...keywords=sonos

there's also a soundbar which i'm considering, which is even more expensive than the high end speaker. thoughts?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM

I was at my folks' house a few weeks ago, and they have a bunch of Sonos stuff. The soundbar for the TV, and also a few scattered speakers that look like the links you provided. It was pretty good, definitely better than the sound built into my TV here. I might pick up a soundbar at some point. They were also playing some music from whatever program controls it when the TV isn't on, but I don't know the details of how (well) that works.

I didn't blast the volume on the TV or music playback or anything, but still I was pretty impressed. Still expensive though.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 PM
CAS

We're considering the Sonos Connect to manage and serve our music. Would appreciate hearing if anyone has experience with the Connect or the Connect: Amp
Old 11-07-2014, 02:38 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids
Favorite beer: Whiskey, Irish

My parents have a sonos system with the connect amp (a few of the mid and 1 of the high) and I love it. You can link the app to whatever apps you have, spotify, Pandora, google music etc. So it's really easy to use and it sounds good. I also like how you can play different tracks on different speakers. for example, my parents keep a wireless outside and have different music on inside
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment
Old 11-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Right now I'm using a teevee soundbar/subwoofer (non-Sonos) and playing music via Chromecast. Works well for me, and re-uses tech already in the house.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:59 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

We have the Sonos Play:5 in our kitchen. Pretty much all our listening is done with Spotify, Play Music, or TuneIn Radio, so we don't need the media server portion - so I really can't comment on that.

That being said, when we got the 5 nearly a year ago, the Android app for it was abysmal. I was also annoyed that you have to use the Sonos app to control the music. I would prefer to use the Spotify app to control playback. So basically what I want is a Chromecast that plugs into a hifi speaker (instead of plugging it into a TV first).

Also Spotify doesn't support Chromecast natively, so I'm currently switching from Spotify to Play All Access. It is quite the arduous task, but I have a free two months thanks to my Chromebook purchase (google "Chrome goodies" if you have a Chromebook).

That all being said, the Play:5 has outstanding sound quality. I guess I'm not sure why some other company can't compete with Sonos. They seem to just be the last ones standing for some reason.

One other annoying thing was that we had to pay 50 F-ing dollars for this thing called a Sonos Bridge that basically created a proprietary network for the speakers. Turns out it was just some encrypted sort of wifi so recently they got rid of the bridge requirement and just run the speakers on wifi. FU Sonos. Wasting my $50 like that.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM

We got the five for the kitchen and the Three for the bedroom. Reminds of apple products. Extremely overpriced but it works well and is extremely easy to set up which is what I was looking for. Sound is pretty good but I'm hardly an audiophile. We mostly use spotify or pandora. Nice that its extremely easy to either sync or unlink multiple rooms.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:13 PM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

I have lots of Sonos stuff -- 2 sound bars, 2 play 1s (used for surround sound with one of the sound bars), sub, play 5, and connect (used to connect to my non Sonos surround system and to ceiling speakers throughout the house). LOVE them all!

I agree the Sonos app used to suck big time, but the latest version on iOS is great.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

I am tempted to look into something like this, but the price is a big hurdle. Are there any real options out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I am tempted to look into something like this, but the price is a big hurdle. Are there any real options out there?
we are adding only the Sonos Connect for sure. might be getting the Sonos Connect Amp too