Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-30-2016, 03:27 PM
CAS

I'm frustrated with Sonos and music stored on my data drive on my Win7 box. It just doesn't work well. The apps on our android and MBA frequently don't see the shared music folder on the Win7 data drive, WTF. The Win7 box never sleeps, so that isn't the problem.

I'm thinking about getting the low end mac mini with 500Gb SATA drive and moving all our music to it. Is that a good solution? I just want the damn thing to work reliably.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I was so sick of our Sonos that I bought a Chromecast Audio, put the Sonos into pass thru mode so now it just acts like a powered speaker. All audio goes through some other app (Spotify, Google Music, YouTube, etc) that supports Chromecast.

Bet you can find something to reliably serve the music on your Win7 box. I've had good luck with BubblePnP.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:53 AM
CAS

we have the connect (for main listening area) and connect:amp (for the exercise room) - no sonos speakers
Old 02-01-2016, 10:55 AM
CAS

this?

http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/
Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Just upload everything to Google Music and stream?

Old 02-01-2016, 12:12 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek

I'm not a music geek in any stretch and before having a Sonos system would rarely listen to music in the house because the inconvenience of playing though my smartphone and either leaving it connected to my stereo receiver or hooking it up to a JamBox was too inconvenient. My phone would die so fast too. As I said, not a huge "OMG I need to hear some music right now!" kind of person so I mostly just didn't fuss with it. Also I'm more of a variety guy so not a big fan of putting in a CD or leaving my radio on the same station all the time. And my mp3 library isn't huge so sounds repetitive if I listen to that too much.

Sonos made everything so easy that I almost always have music on in the house when I'm not watching the TV. What's nice is that my wife and I can both control the music from our respective smartphones and have a shared list of apps. I really like that I can make a playlist on Amazon Music for example and then have that as a favorite on my Sonos, right next to my Pandora station and favorite SiriusXM stations. It's so seamless to switch depending on my mood.

I'm not picky with sound quality so would defer that to somebody with better ears than me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.

Last edited by epeddy1; 02-01-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-01-2016, 12:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
Just upload everything to Google Music and stream?
hmmm, so just cut sonos out of the equation entirely?

is a Google Music subscription required? no, not unless i want an all access account

Last edited by yoyo; 02-01-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM

The only downsides to uploading to and using the Goog would seem to be:

a) need internet connectivity to stream
2) possible limitation to sound fidelity (although if there is any degradation it's below my personal level of speakers/earphones/ears/brain/giving-a-crap)

Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM

And if you like $onos, you do have the option of streaming your Google music to their products, if you wish. I'm pretty sure.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:31 AM
SOA

Is Sonos still what people recommend here?

I have a cheap (but surprisingly decent) Vizio home-theater-in-a-box in 2 different rooms in the house. They work well for movies. But they're surprisingly crappy for music (or maybe my standards are simply higher for music?)

I have a pair of DCM TF600 speakers that are 25 years old, and have been sitting unused for several years. They sound great, but my wife hates the look of them (big black wedge-looking things, and they require frequent vacuuming to stay clean). Plus they lack low bass. I have an old Harman Kardon AVR25 receiver, but it doesn't have optical inputs.

I don't need any more home theater stuff. But I would really like to start adding music around the house. So now I'm trying to figure out if I should chuck my DCM speakers and HK receiver, and start building a Sonos system, especially if it would really be easy to use from my smartphones.

But seeing people like ahow show annoyance with the system worries me.

I've had all sorts of crazy ideas of what I could do instead:

* Buy a Chord Mojo DAC, which also serves as a headphone amplifier. Then I could listen to really nice headphones while in bed. I could also use it to connect my laptop or Apple TV to my HK receiver and listen to streamed audio, including maybe Tidal Lossless.

* Wait until Fry's has a great deal on one of the better Denon receivers, like the X3300 or X4300, which sometimes go on sale for half off, then build from there. But of course, then I'd be sticking with the traditional wired setup. And I really don't want to run wiring all over my house. And I'm not planning to have a dedicated, really fancy home theater room any time soon.

I'm probably years away from moving, but I also don't feel like throwing a lot of money into my current house to get my audio just right. So the Sonos system has a lot of appeal in terms of current and future flexibility.