Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
It may sound odd, but you might look into welding websites for tips on wiring up something with that kind of draw. Welding machines run in the 50-75A range for a higher end models, I believe.

Depending on how things are set up, you may want to run a 220v line to it which will reduce the amperage requirement and reduce the amount of heat generated. Reduced heat will probably also extend the life of the amp.
We are moving, so I'll have to wait and see what the next house looks like, wiring-wise. If it's somewhat easy to upgrade so that I can have the sub on a dedicated circuit with a larger breaker, great. If not, oh well. The sub is very efficient, so even at ~2kW, it will get quite loud.

Back in my car audio days, I knew a few folks who used welding cable as power cable for large amplifiers.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 PM

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
We are moving, so I'll have to wait and see what the next house looks like, wiring-wise. If it's somewhat easy to upgrade so that I can have the sub on a dedicated circuit with a larger breaker, great. If not, oh well. The sub is very efficient, so even at ~2kW, it will get quite loud.

Back in my car audio days, I knew a few folks who used welding cable as power cable for large amplifiers.
IMO that's the kind of sub one shouldn't bother getting if one considers oneself constrained by what the next house happens to have.

Not that you shouldn't get it, of course!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:50 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
IMO that's the kind of sub one shouldn't bother getting if one considers oneself constrained by what the next house happens to have.

Not that you shouldn't get it, of course!
Home inventory in my area is tight, and I can't realistically use this as a 'must have' for the next house. It would be great if we get a house with an unfinished basement. I could wire for this thing, and I could place this in an unfinished area, and just cut a hole in the wall for it to fire through into the family room.

I'd still have a pair of 15" subs to deal with, but they aren't nearly as large.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 PM

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

I didn't mean that you should be able to get whatever house you wanted necessarily, but just that when dropping that much on a sub, one generally is indifferent to the cost of running a new circuit.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
I didn't mean that you should be able to get whatever house you wanted necessarily, but just that when dropping that much on a sub, one generally is indifferent to the cost of running a new circuit.
Ah. Gotcha. I will weigh the cost of wiring vs the benefit of about 3dB more output.

It's also possible I might swap subs. I have a friend who swaps gear frequently, and he currently owns a smaller sub (Seaton Submersive) with two 15" and a 2.4kW amp. That's roughly what a 15A circuit could deliver. So that factors into the decision.

At any rate, I doubt I will be hurting too much for bass!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 AM
CAS

Houses come and go. But great quality audio is forever.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Lead Guitarist

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

I've got a couple of Yamaha HS-5 powered monitors at home for my studio rig. Not really audiophile at all, just a decent pair of monitors to hear a pure, uncolored sound when I'm mixing. Also, I can't tell a difference between a 192kpbs mp3 and FLAC, so I don't bother with anything higher than 192kbps. That's all I got.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
I've got a couple of Yamaha HS-5 powered monitors at home for my studio rig. Not really audiophile at all, just a decent pair of monitors to hear a pure, uncolored sound when I'm mixing. Also, I can't tell a difference between a 192kpbs mp3 and FLAC, so I don't bother with anything higher than 192kbps. That's all I got.
What are you feeding the Yamahas with, a laptop sound card or a separate DAC? Are you ensuring bit-perfect playback? FLAC can get degraded if you don't.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Lead Guitarist

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
What are you feeding the Yamahas with, a laptop sound card or a separate DAC? Are you ensuring bit-perfect playback? FLAC can get degraded if you don't.
Feeding the Yamahas with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, which is also the interface I use to record.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Feeding the Yamahas with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, which is also the interface I use to record.
If your OS or playing software can control the volume during playback, the digital stream is being altered before it reaches the Focusrite (except maybe if the volume is 100%).