Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 12-10-2016, 03:18 AM
SOA

Default Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Kind of excited about this. Tablet console that's portable but also has a dock so you can play at home on the TV. The controls come off the side of the tablet to support multiplayer. I doubt it will be as popular as the wii but it seems like more of a "real" gaming platform as opposed the more casual wii style.

Coming March 2017
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:56 AM

All in on the Switch. Looks great.

I still don't expect third party support though.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:39 PM
SOA

Third parties will support mildly in first year and will only continue after if it's a success. Just like every other console; including WiiU.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:51 PM
CAS

College: ITT Tech

i really want this to succeed, but there are so many things that could go wrong. poor battery life, high price tag, and low quality construction could lead to to its downfall.

and really, the plane scene in the ad is the only realistic one. i see it difficult to decide that i want to bring a full fledged console like that out to play in the streets when i've got a mobile phone with hundreds of games and maybe a 3ds or vita which would offer faster loading and more portable friendly games
Old 12-12-2016, 05:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
i really want this to succeed, but there are so many things that could go wrong. poor battery life, high price tag, and low quality construction could lead to to its downfall.

and really, the plane scene in the ad is the only realistic one. i see it difficult to decide that i want to bring a full fledged console like that out to play in the streets when i've got a mobile phone with hundreds of games and maybe a 3ds or vita which would offer faster loading and more portable friendly games
Do you have a huge phone? A lot of games don't play well on tiny screens
Old 12-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Non-Actuary

I don't think there is going to be a lot of loading. There is only a quick glimpse, but that looks like a cartridge going in there!

I mean, I don't see groups of fashionably-dressed, ethnically-diverse people sitting around grinning ear to ear while playing this thing but I can definitely see it being successful.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM
CAS

College: ITT Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Do you have a huge phone? A lot of games don't play well on tiny screens
iphone 6. i tried the 6+ but it was too big for my pockets. games that need larger screens like clash of clans i can play on my ipad mini
Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Kind of excited about this. Tablet console that's portable but also has a dock so you can play at home on the TV. The controls come off the side of the tablet to support multiplayer. I doubt it will be as popular as the wii but it seems like more of a "real" gaming platform as opposed the more casual wii style.

Coming March 2017

Looks cool, but I dunno. I got burned by the Sega Nomad many, many moons ago. It was an expensive yet crappy piece of equipment that seemed really cool but ultimately was garbage. The battery pack was good for 15 minutes of play, at best, on 6 new Energizers. So it was only really useful if you had the ac adapter, which meant it was a very bulky Genesis controller.

Also, it's been a while, but does Nintendo have any compelling games for the adult crowd? It's not that Mario cart isn't kool, but it's not worth the price of a new system.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post

The Nintendo fanboy in me is here to quell all fears!

For poor battery life, I'm only somewhat concerned about this. 3 hours would probably be enough. I seldom go for more than 3 hours on my 3DS before an easy and convenient opportunity to charge comes up. Plugs are everywhere now.

The scenarios in the ad were unrealistic, but there just meant to display the system's capabilities.

I'm not going to bring my Switch to a rooftop party and make everyone stop everything to play Mario with me, but there were elements there that I can see being useful. I recently brought my PS4 to a family get-together so that we could all play party games. Something like that would be easier with the Switch.

Am I going to pop off Joycons to play Mario Kart with my bros in the car? No, but I can easily see needing to get two more people into a Mario Kart game while at my house and using the Joycons in a pinch. That's what I loved about the Wii U. I was set up for 4 player local multiplayer just based on hardware I already owned. No need to buy $60 controllers for each additional player.

Is Splatoon going to become a stadium filling eSports event? Maybe not, but Smash Bros is already there. Nintendo committing to eSports is a positive step.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM
SOA

Anybody getting one today? Understand they are somewhat hard to find. I am traveling a lot in March so I'll probably wait till after my trips. Should be easier to find by then.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.