Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep
Default Recommend me an Android phone

I have a nexus 4, it's getting old, the battery only lasts the day with low use, it also randomly turns itself off sometimes, so it's time for an upgrade.

I know nothing of phones on the market now.

I'm happy with the Nexus 4, I wouldn't mind getting a better camera on my next phone, I do like to take the odd picture with my phone.

I rarely use my phone for gaming, it's mainly for emails / texts / internet.

If not for the battery issue I'd keep it, maybe I should just get a new battery? But it's all integrated so sort of a nuisance to switch.

I'm not on a contract, and do not want to be on a contract, so I'll pay whatever the phone costs. I could pay a lot for a fancy phone, but I sort of need to be convinced there's value. The Nexus 4 was fairly cheap, so I probably don't want to go over ~400, unless someone tells me otherwise.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 AM

Check out the OnePlus phones. The OnePlus 3 was selling for $400 a few months back when I was looking at them and I know they have a slightly upgraded 3t for $440. Do a little research though because they might be about ready for the 4.

In the research that I did, granted this was a few months ago, the 3 was definitely the best value in that $400 range. The biggest downside for me was the size 5.5" is just too big of a phone for me but it might be fine for you.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:03 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Check out the OnePlus phones. The OnePlus 3 was selling for $400 a few months back when I was looking at them and I know they have a slightly upgraded 3t for $440. Do a little research though because they might be about ready for the 4.

In the research that I did, granted this was a few months ago, the 3 was definitely the best value in that $400 range. The biggest downside for me was the size 5.5" is just too big of a phone for me but it might be fine for you.
i've been happy with my oneplus phones (1, 2, and 3). sold my 1 to upgrade to the 2. mrs yoyo inherited my 2 when she lost her phone and i got the 3. phone def not too big for my hands. one handed operation is not a problem for me. very good phone for the $

have heard good things about the huawei honor phone, but have no direct experience with it
Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Hmm, looks a little bigger than my current phone, may not fit quite as well in my pocket, good specs, and I like the fast charging feature.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 AM
CAS

i didn't think i cared about fast charging, but i really like it now that i have it.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 AM
CAS

Got my nexus 5X on Monday. Definitely snappier than my 5. Now just waiting on a SIM card to come.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 03-22-2017, 12:05 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

I'd look at the old Nexus 5x, or 6p - both have great cameras.

The Pixel is also worth looking at.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

Huawei Honor 8 is a great phone. Little slippery (I shattered my screen) but for the while it's a great value in a phone. Their 5x also is, but it's a little sluggish.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Non-Actuary

I'd probably go OnePlus 3 (or 3T) if the size isn't an issue.

I'd be wary of the Nexus 5x. There is a known issue where some (unknown) percentage of the phones bootloop after a year of use so do your research and make sure the risk would be worth it. Check out reddit.com/r/nexus5x or do a google search for some more info.

My first 5x bootlooped after about eleven months of use. Google sent me a replacement which is now maybe five months old. No issues on that one yet.

Apart from the bootlooping my 5x is (was) a great phone.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

iPhone 3G

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19659...ur_iphone.html