Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 03-22-2017, 02:36 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

My sons both have a Moto G3. I haven't used them much myself, but when I do, they have been sufficient. They're currently around $200, or $150 with Amazon Prime membership with ads. Both priced versions support CDMA and GSM on the same phone.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-22-2017, 02:58 PM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

I just go the Pixel XL, which is above your price range, but so far I'm happy with it. Depending on your carrier though, you might get a discount. Even though I bought it directly from Google at full price, T-Mobile offers $300 off my bill, spread over the next 2 years. It's not a contract, I just don't get those savings if I switch carriers.

2013-2014 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2016-2017 EPL Prediction Contest Champion
Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
I physically despise Apple.
when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them - they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over. As crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:23 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
I physically despise Apple.
I have two iPads and yeah, I couldn't imagine trying to use them like a phone. There's almost zero customization.

Android has come a long, long way. Earlier I got a phone call that was instantly recognized by the OS as spam. I also get the option to report spam calls, which I assume supports this feature.

Honestly have no idea what a potential advantage to using apple is anymore. If you're used to it?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

I can't help you due to the poor grammar in your title.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
I can't help you due to the poor grammar in your title.
Maybe a phone with killer auto-correct?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Samsung S7 or S7 Edge (these have external sd slots unlike the S6's)

Great phones. Or you could wait a few months and spring for the S8
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 03-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Samsung S7 or S7 Edge (these have external sd slots unlike the S6's)

Great phones. Or you could wait a few months and spring for the S8
Probably a bit less than that... I think the official announcement is next week with release by the end of April...

I'm looking at getting the S8 but with the rumoured high price and a (another) potential move in the near future I'm considering delaying til after the potential move or buying an upgraded S7 (universal phone - works with both AT&T and Verizon networks; still have to see how it does for international usability).

I've been using an old Apple iphone6(?) and have been having ridiculous amounts of trouble with my hand. I didn't have the problem when using my S4...
Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

I had an S4 before. I put an extended battery on it and it was great. Even with wifi, bluetooth, and music it lasted 24hrs. The external sd was somewhat limited but otherwise a pretty solid phone.

S6 was abysmally bad. I hated not having am external sd and the battery life was awful.

Loving the S7 Edge. Put in an extended battery and 128 GB external SD and its smooth as can be. Might get the VR goggles just to play around with them for a bit. Havent decided just yet.

I was thinking about waiting for the S8 but I just couldnt go another day with the S6. The low battery and storage capacity was driving me crazy.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".

Last edited by jas66Kent; 03-22-2017 at 06:58 PM..
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
My sons both have a Moto G3. I haven't used them much myself, but when I do, they have been sufficient. They're currently around $200, or $150 with Amazon Prime membership with ads. Both priced versions support CDMA and GSM on the same phone.
Aren't the Amazon prices for a G4? G5 is out elsewhere and about to come out in the US, I think I remember reading.

I've had a G3 since they came out and it's been good.