Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Aren't the Amazon prices for a G4? G5 is out elsewhere and about to come out in the US, I think I remember reading.

I've had a G3 since they came out and it's been good.
Yes, G4. I meant G4. Thx.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-23-2017, 12:16 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
I had an S4 before. I put an extended battery on it and it was great. Even with wifi, bluetooth, and music it lasted 24hrs. The external sd was somewhat limited but otherwise a pretty solid phone.

S6 was abysmally bad. I hated not having am external sd and the battery life was awful.

Loving the S7 Edge. Put in an extended battery and 128 GB external SD and its smooth as can be. Might get the VR goggles just to play around with them for a bit. Havent decided just yet.

I was thinking about waiting for the S8 but I just couldnt go another day with the S6. The low battery and storage capacity was driving me crazy.
I still have 2 Samsung s4. I have an s6 edge plus and it is great as well.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 AM
CAS

are samsung screens still super saturated? no matter how good the other features are, i've never been able to get past that blazing cartoon screen. sure, if you're used to it, it looks fine to you, even great, but not if you're used devices that adhere a little closer to the sRGB standard
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 AM
CAS

In cheap phones I like the Moto G series. A lot of bang for the buck, with well thought-out features both in hardware and in the OS. I think the Pixel is probably the best phone on the market right now, and you can get Google Fi with it, which is an excellent phone plan for many people. (It's excellent if you hit any one of these criteria: usually in range of wifi, don't use a lot of data, often travel internationally. It's pretty good for most use-cases.) The Pixel comes in two sizes, and I would go for the smaller one, personally.

(I'm currently using the Blackberry Priv I bought a year ago November. It was over-priced, but otherwise a terrific phone. Right now the battery is showing signs of age, and I'm thinking that I'd rather replace the battery than buy a new phone, since there's nothing on the market that's really a better phone for me. The only one that tempts me is the Pixel, because it's a little smaller and comes with Google Fi, but it doesn't have an external SD card, and it doesn't do wireless charging.)

Oh -- check out Swappa for good deals in used phones. They do a decent job of vetting the seller, and they are a very cheap platform for the seller, with simple and transparent pricing. So there are a lot of good phones there.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:12 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Yeah, I might through caution to the wind and just buy a Pixel, way over my initially estimated budget, but the camera would be better than my current camera camera, so it would be like an upgrade to that.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 PM

the Motorola G Plus 5th Generation 32GB is $185 today if you have Amazon Prime. it includes the special offers and ads on the lock screen. if you want the non-special offers version, it's $230

the phone comes out at the end of this month
Old 03-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

I may be getting the Moto G5 for my kid. (Probably without the ads.) It comes with Nougat so I'll be able to set up a "family link" account to keep some digital training-wheels on her. And I'll get her the same el-cheapo $30/mo Tmo plan I use.

https://families.google.com/familylink/

Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
I may be getting the Moto G5 for my kid. (Probably without the ads.) It comes with Nougat so I'll be able to set up a "family link" account to keep some digital training-wheels on her. And I'll get her the same el-cheapo $30/mo Tmo plan I use.

https://families.google.com/familylink/
Look into ad removal. I know some of those phones allow a reflash.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I expect that the rootification community will be all over this. Question will be if I feel like dealing with that hassle to save a couple bucks.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 PM

I did get that Blu R1 that I asked about in the main Android thread. Using it as a backup device and to shoot bedtime stories at my sleepphones. So far the ads aren't bothering me (I see the lockscreen just a couple times a day, with my usement.) Ads all day every day on my kid's device seems like a bad idea though.