Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:00 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners
Default Video Game Design

I've recently caught the bug. Good opportunity to feel creative and productive and clever outside of work.

Anyone else on the AO into it?
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:43 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

Yes. Very.

My first (Very simple) game is on Google Play. Been working for the past week to put it on Apple App store. (Loading Apps on Apple App store has been a horrible experience compared to Android/Google Play).

Here is the Google Play link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.FindKitties

Apple Link:
https://appsto.re/us/fIZ9ib.i

*Note the screen shots may look out of order or duplicated when viewing on PC. On the phones they look ok. Dunno what is going on with either Google Play or Apple App Store.

My next project is an online multiplayer action fantasy game with xbox/pc quality graphics. I will probably put this one up on Steam and Xbox/PS4 markets. I'll have a demo video probably in the next month.

Last edited by LifeContingent; 04-17-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeContingent View Post
Yes. Very.

My first (Very simple) game is on Google Play. Been working for the past week to put it on Apple App store. (Loading Apps on Apple App store has been a horrible experience compared to Android/Google Play).

Here is the Google Play link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.FindKitties

Apple Link (still working out bug where Ads are not playing):
https://appsto.re/us/fIZ9ib.i

*Note the screen shots may look out of order or duplicated when viewing on PC. On the phones they look ok. Dunno what is going on with either Google Play or Apple App Store.

My next project is an online multiplayer action fantasy game with xbox/pc quality graphics. I will probably put this one up on Steam and Xbox/PS4 markets. I'll have a demo video probably in the next month.
Cool! I added a kitty to my kittipedia!

I haven't made any games. I keep starting and then quitting soon after for no really good reason, just boredom. At the moment I'm working on something that plays sort of like Princess Maker or Jones in the Fast Lane?

It's just getting playable now. But at a month away from being "fun", and probably 6 months away from being marketable.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:08 PM
SOA

Cool stuff. What game development tool do you use? I use Unity.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 PM

Unity! It's wonderful!

I played around in the past with RPG Maker and RenPy, and learned (very slowly!!!) that professional mainstream software is just so much better, even if it feels inappropriate or overpowered for the task -- which is true with my current project, I'm just shoving 2d pictures around the screen.

It's such a good break. Like when you move from a company that uses some obscure "actuarial" bullsh*t software to good ol' MS Excel.

Speaking of, I also do all of my planning in Excel. In fact, depending on the complexity of the game, I might end up building the whole thing in Excel for balancing and AI purposes.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM
SOA

Absolutely!

I think I started out using DARKBasic, Python with some 2-d graphics plug-in(PyGame?), JavaScript with some other plug-in, then just gave up. It was all too tedious to do anything.

Then I discovered Unity, and I unlocked God-mode. I feel like I can do anything with it.

2d graphics, 3d graphics, AI navigation, online multiplayer, port to xbox, pc, mac, ios, android, no problem. Unity Asset store is a nice resource to have as well.

And the amount of tutorials and youtube videos available. Games just make themselves hah.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:55 PM
SOA

I am at 183 downloads for my game on Apple App store. But fortunately for me, my Apple port is still bugged and not playing any Ads, making my game unplayable on Apple products. So I am sure those 183 people already uninstalled it and wen on their merry way downloading another game. Thank you Unity Ads Services!!!! The bug fix will be rolled out tomorrow on iOS. I love the two day review process. Go Apple. But I must admit, I am at least getting some downloads off of you.

Now on to Google Play.....jesus....I found out that my game is basically unsearchable. I have nearly 0 downloads. The only ones I have are from people I know. I was talking to Google Developer Support and they said I need to optimize the visibility of my game and that my title and description is too generic. You literally cannot type in the title of my game in the search and expect it to return in the results at all. You literally have to use quotation marks around the name. "Find Kitties" instead of Find Kitties.

Ahh the joys of app development....it doesn't stop after you make the tremendous hurdle of designing a game. You still are put through the gauntlet just trying to release the damn thing.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I am at 183 downloads for my game on Apple App store. But fortunately for me, my Apple port is still bugged and not playing any Ads, making my game unplayable on Apple products. So I am sure those 183 people already uninstalled it and wen on their merry way downloading another game. Thank you Unity Ads Services!!!! The bug fix will be rolled out tomorrow on iOS. I love the two day review process. Go Apple. But I must admit, I am at least getting some downloads off of you.

Now on to Google Play.....jesus....I found out that my game is basically unsearchable. I have nearly 0 downloads. The only ones I have are from people I know. I was talking to Google Developer Support and they said I need to optimize the visibility of my game and that my title and description is too generic. You literally cannot type in the title of my game in the search and expect it to return in the results at all. You literally have to use quotation marks around the name. "Find Kitties" instead of Find Kitties.

Ahh the joys of app development....it doesn't stop after you make the tremendous hurdle of designing a game. You still are put through the gauntlet just trying to release the damn thing.
I've heard horrible things of the Apple store, which fits with the horrible things you hear about Apple products in general.

If my game gets decent (it's almost playable now, hooray) I will publish on publish on Steam, and then android if it's very successful. And I'm not going to touch the apple store unless I know there's bags of money in it.

One thing that I learned from my last hobby as a writer: Often, it's better to just take your beloved work of genius and stick it under the mattress and forget about it.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 AM
SOA

Quote:

Yup, I couldn't find it under the title. I searched for "monkey bug find kitties" and found it that way.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I've heard horrible things of the Apple store, which fits with the horrible things you hear about Apple products in general.

If my game gets decent (it's almost playable now, hooray) I will publish on publish on Steam, and then android if it's very successful. And I'm not going to touch the apple store unless I know there's bags of money in it.

One thing that I learned from my last hobby as a writer: Often, it's better to just take your beloved work of genius and stick it under the mattress and forget about it.
Very cool. Post an update when you get it published!