Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 04-17-2017, 02:54 PM
CAS

Default Cellphone Keyboards (Android)

i started using swype when it first came out, liked it, paid for the app.

swiftkey and the native android keyboard have similar swiping functions.

what's the best swype-like keyboard now available and why is it superior to the others?

TIA
Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I moved away from Swype quite a while ago because Dragon Dictation was so incredibly bad and I really wanted voice typing. I've been using the stock Android keyboard and now GBoard since and I love it.

I never got into SwiftKey but my bro-in-law used to swear by it.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

I'm too used to how punctuation and symbols work in Swype to use any other keyboard for very long.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:37 PM
CAS

gboard has swype. i love it myself, adn I use it on iOS. Only drawback on iOS is that apple won't let anyone else have a microphone with their keyboard.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I moved away from Swype quite a while ago because Dragon Dictation was so incredibly bad and I really wanted voice typing. I've been using the stock Android keyboard and now GBoard since and I love it.

I never got into SwiftKey but my bro-in-law used to swear by it.
Does GBoard have different keyboards to choose from? The Swype kb I use has numbers and common punctuation on the letter keys. It looks like I have to go to the secondary screen to get ! and ? on the default GBoard kb.

nevermind - seems you just hold down the period key and other punctuation pops up to select

http://www.guidingtech.com/63876/gboard-tips-tricks/

Last edited by yoyo; 04-18-2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

I feel like that's too easy to pick the wrong thing. I'd rather long press on a key and know I was only getting one symbol.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:05 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Does GBoard have different keyboards to choose from? The Swype kb I use has numbers and common punctuation on the letter keys. It looks like I have to go to the secondary screen to get ! and ? on the default GBoard kb.

nevermind - seems you just hold down the period key and other punctuation pops up to select

http://www.guidingtech.com/63876/gboard-tips-tricks/
Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
I feel like that's too easy to pick the wrong thing. I'd rather long press on a key and know I was only getting one symbol.
Yup.

I quit using swype for a while, because it got sort of heavy, and I had to reboot too often. I tried the Google keyboard and swiftkey.

Swiftkey drove me nuts. It was incredibly bad at getting my words right. (yes, even worse than what I'm using now.) I think it's strong point is predictive typing, but I don't like to pause and see what word the phone suggests next even if it does make good choices.

I did use google for a while. It is a lighter app, and my phone ran smoothly for much longer without needed to be re-booted. But the punctuation and capitalization are less convenient than with swype, or at least, I didn't learn how to use they efficiently. And it was harder to teach it new words -- I use a lot of words that aren't in the default dictionaries. I like that swype lets you edit its dictionary directly and transparently. So I'm back to swype. (also, I upgraded to a faster phone with more memory, so I stopped having to reboot often.)

Google is reasonably good if you don't run into those problems.

Oh, and I've used Blackberry's keyboard, because that came with my phone. But it doesn't swype. (or didn't when I played with it.) So that was a non-starter.

I feel like a keyboard is the most security-critical app you can use, so I'm a little nervous about playing around with keyboards. So I haven't tried any others.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
You can also touch the ?123 (which displays the punctuation keyboard) and swipe to the punctuation you want. I find that faster because the keyboard changes immediately, rather than after a second, as happens when you hold the period. Plus the location of the keys is stationary with the swipe method whereas the period method gives you an overlay that doesn't line up with the main keyboard. I find that is faster, too.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
You can also touch the ?123 (which displays the punctuation keyboard) and swipe to the punctuation you want. I find that faster because the keyboard changes immediately, rather than after a second, as happens when you hold the period. Plus the location of the keys is stationary with the swipe method whereas the period method gives you an overlay that doesn't line up with the main keyboard. I find that is faster, too.
thx
Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but GBoard has options to have a dedicated number row and have punctuation long-press hints on the keyboard. It also has a few gestures. Swipe left from backspace erases a word. Swipe from shift to a letter capitalizes it. Swipe left or right on the space bar moves the cursor slowly.

Another nice one is to highlight a word and press shift to change the case (upper, lower, all CAPS).