Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 11-28-2017, 03:46 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Think about it. If you are earning a dollar of profit in any way, it won't last for long. A competitor will simply underbid you. The furthest point they'd be willing to underbid you at is the point of 0% profit, which is the equilibrium price.
What? Why? What other industries operates at a 0% profit margin?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:17 PM
CAS

the ideas of econ theory, efficient markets, rational actors, etc are all well and good for understand concepts. they're often terrible for understanding reality.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
What? Why? What other industries operates at a 0% profit margin?
Think of it as the equilibrium towards which the economy gravitates as the number of competitors approaches infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:53 PM
CAS

Anyways, what spurred the thought was that I listened to a keynote speaker at a conference make some pretty ambitious claims about how AI would drive the expense and loss ratios down to something really low, like 2%. I thought there was no way that could be true, and that the combined ratio (whatever the loss and expense components may be) will hover at around 100% as long as insurance exists and the market remains competitive.

I do agree that loss control can be improved, that advancements in risk adjusting can keep existing claims from blowing up, and that technology can make insurance less expensive to write - resulting in a more efficient risk transfer for the insured. But I really doubt insurers will be earning profits north of 90%.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:10 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Think about it. If you are earning a dollar of profit in any way, it won't last for long. A competitor will simply underbid you. The furthest point they'd be willing to underbid you at is the point of 0% profit, which is the equilibrium price.

I'm okay with you guys saying that profits do exist, but you have to admit then that the market is oligopolistic to a certain extent or that we're in an environment of monopolistic competition and not a competitive market.
You must not have read about insurance regulatory history.

"Underbidding" the competition in an insurance market--especially insurance coverage for structures prone to catastrophic damage--usually results in insolvencies.

And there are usually considerable consequences to the high-level executives of companies that go insolvent that they would generally prefer to avoid.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 11-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Anyways, what spurred the thought was that I listened to a keynote speaker at a conference make some pretty ambitious claims about how AI would drive the expense and loss ratios down to something really low, like 2%. I thought there was no way that could be true, and that the combined ratio (whatever the loss and expense components may be) will hover at around 100% as long as insurance exists and the market remains competitive.

I do agree that loss control can be improved, that advancements in risk adjusting can keep existing claims from blowing up, and that technology can make insurance less expensive to write - resulting in a more efficient risk transfer for the insured. But I really doubt insurers will be earning profits north of 90%.
And Russians don't engage in trying to influence American opinion toward politicians and social change.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
You must not have read about insurance regulatory history.

"Underbidding" the competition in an insurance market--especially insurance coverage for structures prone to catastrophic damage--usually results in insolvencies.

And there are usually considerable consequences to the high-level executives of companies that go insolvent that they would generally prefer to avoid.
I somewhat agree in the sense that I believe the market is purposely structured by regulators to allow for some level of profit because the negative consequences of insolvency outweigh the negative consequences of reduced competition.

But what I said, "However, in a competitive market, economic profit should be close to 0%" isn't false and I'm wondering why you keep poking at that since the sentence as stated is true. And in practice, profits aren't that far off from 0%. Even the best companies have a combined ratio in the mid 80s. If profits were really big you'd see combined ratios of something like 20% which just isn't the case, so the market is competitive to a certain extent.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2017, 05:36 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:

I'm okay with you guys saying that profits do exist, but you have to admit then that the market is oligopolistic to a certain extent or that we're in an environment of monopolistic competition and not a competitive market.
It seems like you're assuming that there exists a right answer in terms of incurred losses, and that technology will, at some point, be able to predict that figure with virtually 0 margin for error.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 11-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Why do competitors underbid you? To drive you out of the market so they can switch over to monopoly pricing. Where profit >>> 0

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM
CAS

Quote:

Wait, the speaker's argument was that the combined ratio, not the expense ratio, would become 2%? Lol. Monopolies don't even enjoy that kind of margin.

Even Google has a net profit margin of something like 30%.