Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM
SOA

so the take-away is: it's okay for a few years, not forever if you want on to move to major medical someday or any type of managed care. and whether or not you are a smartie, there will be health insurance employers who will have a negative view of you, which is really what matters in the end, if you plan to move away from vision/dental after doing it for a long time.

What's wrong, Superman? Locked out of your big ice thingy?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
so the take-away is: it's okay for a few years, not forever if you want on to move to major medical someday or any type of managed care. and whether or not you are a smartie, there will be health insurance employers who will have a negative view of you, which is really what matters in the end, if you plan to move away from vision/dental after doing it for a long time.
True, but there are lots of ways to get pigeon-holed. That's why it's best to never get too comfy in one role no matter what it is. (IMO)

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I'd say it's probably great for entry-level if you can't find anything else. Just learning the business and the basics.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:26 PM
SOA

Currently considering rotating into a vision/dental role. My manager is worried it will negatively impact my marketability since it is seen as a "lesser" insurance.

I don't see the harm in killing 2 years in what I hope is a fairly laid back role. Am I being short sighted? I just want to study and pass those FSA exams
Old 09-18-2018, 02:40 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post

Currently considering rotating into a vision/dental role. My manager is worried it will negatively impact my marketability since it is seen as a "lesser" insurance.

I don't see the harm in killing 2 years in what I hope is a fairly laid back role. Am I being short sighted? I just want to study and pass those FSA exams
As has been mentioned previously in this thread, I think 2 years is fine. A rotation is even better cause you can learn new stuff instead of doing the same thing you've been doing for two more years.