Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-05-2018, 05:16 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: BU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt and Chill View Post
Congrats!

You'll have enough time to review. The student success RMD has code chunks in it already (compared to the term life sample project, which has nothing) so you'll probably find that you don't need to review R code/programming concepts as much as you anticipate and can focus on the communication/reporting aspect instead.
Thanks!

Awesome. I feel pretty confident in my written communication skills, so if this exam emphasizes communication as much as it seems it will I'm more optimistic about the outcome.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA

VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
I've been messing around with practice datasets lately. I'm getting pretty good at writing code without googling anything now. I think it will be crucial on test day to know what to do when your code breaks and how to fix it. I have code that I believe is important to know for the exam and I've been memorizing it too.

Starting this weekend I plan on re-doing modules 6, 7 and 8. Then with whatever time I have left I might sit down for 5 hours and write a full practice report and RMD. We'll see; in my mind that seems a little unnecessary.

Just today I was practicing with the CEO dataset here: http://instruction.bus.wisc.edu/jfre...2010/data.html

I was using COMP as my target and could not for the life of me come up with a good model. All my models were just down right terrible. I guess if that happens on exam day just address that your models are garbage and why and some potential ways to fix them. Not sure but that's probably my biggest fear at this point.
Try OJ or Carseats from the ISLR package (data = ISLR::OJ). You can make some reasonable models from either of these data sets.

I tried to practice by predicting:
1. Which brand of orange juice the customer purchased
2. Number of sales
Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 PM
SOA

Studying for PA, FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMathNotMeth View Post
That's good to hear!

I had originally planned to do my practice exam last weekend as well so I'd have more time to review and strengthen any weak spots. The wife wanted to throw a small gender reveal party (plus some other family stuff) however so I pushed it to this weekend. I think I'll still have enough time for review, but cutting it close!

And we're having a girl by the way.
Mazel Tov! What a blessing!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 12-06-2018, 08:57 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

Someone may have asked this elsewhere but I couldn't find it:

When you are using trainControl in a random forest and use the argument sampling = up or down, how do you determine which class is being over/under sampled?

I can see it intuitively by trying both that one performs way better. However don't have any real visibility on the data/making sure its doing what I'm intending it to do.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:15 PM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infelix13 View Post
Someone may have asked this elsewhere but I couldn't find it:

When you are using trainControl in a random forest and use the argument sampling = up or down, how do you determine which class is being over/under sampled?

I can see it intuitively by trying both that one performs way better. However don't have any real visibility on the data/making sure its doing what I'm intending it to do.

Thanks.
Not sure if there's a way to visually see it from that function but I believe it's the target variable. You would use "up" if it's under-represented in the data and "down" if it's over-represented.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
Not sure if there's a way to visually see it from that function but I believe it's the target variable. You would use "up" if it's under-represented in the data and "down" if it's over-represented.
Connected to this, what happens if you input both?

There's a code snippet which states:

Quote:
ctrl <- trainControl(method="cv", number=4,
classProbs = TRUE,
sampling = c("down", "up")) # sample unbalanced sample up and down
In Module 7, RMD 7.3, Chunk E11b. Is it creating a balanced set by oversampling the minority and undersampling the majority?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

Does anyone know how to compute the residuals for a lasso model? Or how to generate diagnostic plots (e.g. Q-Q plot, residuals vs. fitted) for the model?

I've tried the methods that the modules show for non-regularized regression, but I can't figure out anything for the lasso. Google wasn't much help as it showed me how to get plots using packages we will not have at the exam.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:14 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

I noticed that too, I've decided that if given the option I'll perform stepwise over LASSO because of that and other reasons. If we have to use regularized I'm hoping they'll help with sample code.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:20 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
I noticed that too, I've decided that if given the option I'll perform stepwise over LASSO because of that and other reasons. If we have to use regularized I'm hoping they'll help with sample code.
Would you accomplish this just by using the step and/or stepAIC functions? I don't recall seeing stepwise regression come up in the modules (at least by that name).

Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMathNotMeth View Post
Would you accomplish this just by using the step and/or stepAIC functions? I don't recall seeing stepwise regression come up in the modules (at least by that name).
Yep. It was somewhere in the GLM module.

library(MASS)
stepAIC(modelobject, direction="backward")

You can do "forward" as well.