Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 PM

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondooboo View Post
You could make the case through proof by contradiction: are there any practices of an actuary that do not consider its long-term consequences on a global scale, especially in the context of its impact on climate?

Judging by the discussions of the SOA on the subject of climate change, I would venture to guess that the culture within the industry is at least accepting of the overwhelming evidence of climate change. The oil and gas industry, on the other hand, is filled with people who are either completely ignorant of the fact that climate change is real, or just coping through denial, so that they make their money and get out. This is an industry I would not want to partake in.
Finance analyst at Tesla. They don't require finance/business degrees. Engineering degrees are fine. A couple actuarial exams will give you a smidgen of finance cred over other fresh engineering grads.

Last edited by nonlnear; 02-18-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 10:59 PM
CAS

Studying for 2/FM
College: University of Oklahoma Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear
Finance analyst at Tesla. They don't require finance/business degrees. Engineering degrees are fine. A couple actuarial exams will give you a smidgen of finance cred over other fresh engineering grads.
Never thought of that. Will definitely look into it. Appreciate the solid advice.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:44 AM
Note Contributor

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyMo View Post
Money is like oxygen, or sex... it's no big deal, unless you aren't getting any.
Or if the guy next door is getting more.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:44 AM

Studying for FM/2
Favorite beer: Not beer. Bourbon is where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Or if the guy next door is getting more.
Heh... I was going to say something about beeswax, but I can't pretend to be above it. I have friends, peers and acquaintances who could not live the way they do without handouts from various sources (parents, ex-husbands, the government, etc.), and it does tend to rub me the wrong way.

Sometimes I am disappointed in myself for thinking that way, but I can't help it. I get thoroughly annoyed when people who have made poor life choices are subsidized. They avoid the consequences and never learn the lesson.

Spoiler:

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.”

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important.”

“Belief gets in the way of learning.”

“The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.”

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?”

Old 02-19-2017, 05:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
Heh... I was going to say something about beeswax, but I can't pretend to be above it. I have friends, peers and acquaintances who could not live the way they do without handouts from various sources (parents, ex-husbands, the government, etc.), and it does tend to rub me the wrong way.

Sometimes I am disappointed in myself for thinking that way, but I can't help it. I get thoroughly annoyed when people who have made poor life choices are subsidized. They avoid the consequences and never learn the lesson.
Who doesn't love free stuff

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 PM

Studying for FM/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Who doesn't love free stuff
Free to whom? There's no such thing.

Spoiler:

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important.”

“The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.”

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Note Contributor

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Heh... I was going to say something about beeswax, but I can't pretend to be above it.
I was joking, but think it is true anyway. People are happy to have the gig until they find out where they sit on the DW Simpson salary survey. It doesn't matter that they're making a boatload of money. Nothing pisses people off faster than finding out that the guy in the next cube who's doing the same work got a 3.5% raise, but they got 3%.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Studying for FM/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I was joking, but think it is true anyway. People are happy to have the gig until they find out where they sit on the DW Simpson salary survey. It doesn't matter that they're making a boatload of money. Nothing pisses people off faster than finding out that the guy in the next cube who's doing the same work got a 3.5% raise, but they got 3%.
IKWYM

Spoiler:

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
IKWYM
omg, your avatar is of a game I used to play as a child about nice cars in the desert. jesus.

My Amazon Ebook - Top Secrets to Pass the Preliminary Exams

Trump Tweet Poetry

LinkedIN
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

Studying for FM/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit041000 View Post
omg, your avatar is of a game I used to play as a child about nice cars in the desert. jesus.
Yes, yes it is, and so much more. I'm surprised (but pleased) that anyone remembered it.

Best. Game. Ever.

Spoiler:

Tags
career change, guessed petrol from title, request for advice, resume critique