Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-08-2019, 01:42 PM
CAS

good points, i'm just having difficulty reconciling "rash" with 14 cases reported worldwide. i get your point, but there's some hyperbole mixed in too
Old 08-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
good points, i'm just having difficulty reconciling "rash" with 14 cases reported worldwide. i get your point, but there's some hyperbole mixed in too
Maybe its more reasonable to say that there is a rash of Model 3 owners complaining about stinky feet smells in their car? Guess there is some design flaw resulting in the condensation from the AC not draining right because the plug gets stuff up, resulting in mold. Customer services remains abysmal.

'm curious if there are any P&C actuaries that can/want to comment on the car insurance pricing for teslas. Owners have complained long enough that at the end of Q1 Musk said they were going to create their own product.. of course still nada.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 AM

Not really Tesla news, but has anybody here looked into OpenPilot? Its hardware that is easily retrofitted to newer cars that have radar which makes it much closer to Tesla like lane assist (no navigation). Its still basically a beta version (you have to buy the device and then install the software (wonder if they can't sell it combined legally?). Looks interesting, once it goes comercial I would probably buy it for 1k and install on our car.

I hadn't heard of it until the CEO of Comma AI came on a podcast with Lex. Podcast is great for anybody interested in autonomous driving (maybe skip first 15 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwcYp-XT7UI
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Non-Actuary

Can it see tow-trucks?
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
Can it see tow-trucks?
Not if they are stopped, lol. The guy actually specifically stated that Tesla does a better job than at recognizing stopped objects where radar fails.

His take was clear, level 5 is WAY off but in the meantime really really good lane centering combined with high level driver monitoring is a large value add for consumers today. I agree with this. I might have missed it but I'm not sure when he said the consumer version of OpenPilot would be released, I think it might have been 2020 estimate.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:15 AM

Came to the AO specifically to see if there was any discussion in this thread on the offer to upgrade to Full Self Driving at a discount that expires tomorrow.

Only certain people are eligible. Depends on when you bought your car, what features it has, etc. I am eligible. Charge is $3k right now, I think it goes up to $6k or $7k after tomorrow.

This is likely obvious to everyone, but from what I understand the capability is not actually fully developed, and also not legal. So clearly the motives here aren't great. They want cash now for a nebulous promise.

That said, I'm still tempted to do it. I'm in, so I have to be all in. I have to have faith that this will come out, this will get approved, I will get everything I expect in the future when I get this, etc. What I have heard is that Elon has said, "anyone who pays for FSD will get whatever hardware it requires at no additional cost." Supposedly meaning that even if it requires something beyond HW3 you would get that too.

Now, lots to worry about there. (1) Can Elon be taken at his word? Many would laugh at that. Though if he changed it could be class action lawsuits. (2) As the hardware comes out and is expensive to produce and install, I find it hard to believe that they will continually eat those costs.

So I feel like a bit of a sucker, but I am leaning toward buying this tomorrow.

I do feel a little mislead, as when I was shopping I was told "we already have the technology for that, but it isn't legal yet. And when self driving becomes legal they will just push an update to your car overnight and it will work." Lots of misleading things in that sentence.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:13 AM

I'm clearly negative on most claims by musk.

The pricing is confusing, from my understanding the people who already purchased Enhanced autopilot now only have to pay 3k to get up to FSD. The people who didn't already pay for EAP have to pay 6k, jumping to 7k. (not sure if it was done yet). NOt sure if the 3k was supposed to go to 4k for those who had already purchased EAP. Tesla keeps messing with the features that apply to each/pricing.. etc. I think in Q1 when Tesla was really hurting for cash they lowered the price to 4k for the people who hadn't even purchased EAP.

Videos of Enhanced summons by earlier access people still paint a horrible picture of Tesla's FSD abiliity. If you listen to the link i posted of Lex interviewing the CEO of Openpilots Comma Ai, its pretty clear that nobody but Elon thinks FSD is coming in the next few years, let along 12 months.

I'm highly skeptical that Tesla will be rolling out the HW3 updates anytime soon. The are pretty friendly with the OTA updates, that are free and not rquire human installation but things as simple as the 100 dollar spoiler for M3 Performance buyers still isn't even getting installed right. My view is current the FSD issue is a software one, not hardware which is why a Waymo with like 100k of technology installed can't do it.

Whats interesting is that all the people who bought FSD on their 2016 leases are now starting to end their lease having never had access to said product... crazy.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Abstract,

out of curriousity, have you had to deal with Tesla service? How was it? And did you see any change in your insurance premium when you made the jump to Tesla?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
Abstract,

out of curriousity, have you had to deal with Tesla service? How was it? And did you see any change in your insurance premium when you made the jump to Tesla?
Yes. The service was frustrating. Took too long to get an appointment. Too long to make the fix. Too long to get it back. Though the actual customer service experience was fine. Good even.

My insurance went up a little bit (was driving a ~2000 old car before). But not too crazy.