Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Well to meet demand you might need your workers to work overtime, and truckers need to get paid for expedited shipping, and they'll do it if they can get paid.
they can't physically ramp up production fast enough to accommodate surge buying.

And while we might actually have a long term increase in demand for hand sanitizer and masks, it's quite unlikely that long-term demand for toilet paper has increased.

Quote:
You can prevent from happening if you let stores increase prices though.
nope. Panic buying doesn't work that way. Rationing is actually a lot more effective.

And i don't think there were restrictions on stores raising their prices, not in most states, anyway.

Quote:
I really don't blame the guy at all, he was doing people a favor by getting the supplies from where people needed it the least to where they needed it the most. The article says he was getting the bottles from basically the middle of nowhere and sending them to large metro areas where contagion would be more severe.

Otherwise, they would have just sat on the shelves in the boonies or those stores would have realized they could make more money if they shipped it elsewhere - which would only be possible if prices rose high enough to cover the shipping.
No, he's the reason there IS a shortage. It's literally the fault of him and people like him that the rest of us can't buy hand sanitizer from the usual vendors. He didn't buy a few extra bottles in the back, he cleaned out dozens of stores, and also bulk purchased from Amazon. I will be happy if he goes broke. So will lots of other people. I'm surprised he let the news publish his name and photo, because the folks near where he cleaned out physical shops are going to be pissed.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:04 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
And while we might actually have a long term increase in demand for hand sanitizer and masks, it's quite unlikely that long-term demand for toilet paper has increased.
That might depend on how diets change if/when we get confined to our homes for a couple of weeks.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:08 AM
CAS

Likely to decrease the amount we use, amiright?
Old 03-15-2020, 11:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grondin View Post
Yes, the $ they spent on the TP
I don't think you understand panic buying.
If it stops riots it will. Double dipping assumes the time to go through the store and get more stuff on second trip is neglible.
There is nothing to lose, since someone will use it eventually and it doesn't go bad.

Yes, if the price is a little higher it removes profit from selling it online in black market.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:00 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Are the manufacturers the same for industrial products and personal products? Very possible, but I donít know. I use more tp than the other three people (males) in my house combined. When I WFH, there is a noticeable uptick in our usage. If Iím working from home for the next few months, we will be buying a lot more tp than before. The industrial manufactures will surely see a decrease in demand during that time.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:01 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Also: Jesus, CS.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:12 PM
CAS

Yes, or at least, I know there's a lot of overlap. GeorgiaPaciifica makes a lot of toilet paper both for commercial and home use. So do Kimberly-Clark and Proctor & Gamble.

And then there are the upstarts...

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/7...a-crap-charmin
Old 03-15-2020, 02:19 PM
CAS

By the way, I bought a box of "Who Gives a Crap". But it was significantly rougher on my tush than other brands. So I replaced it with some Scott and Georgia Pacific products. Currently using a higher-end GP commercial product. I still have several rolls of WGAC in the basement.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Also: Jesus, CS.
Uma, Oprah. Oprah, Uma.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:19 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
It depends on who is doing it and why.
This. I do think gougers get more flak than they deserve. In many cases it's really good (like Uber surge pricing) because it immediately creates more supply.

But in most cases it's at best neutral and can be really bad.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 03-15-2020 at 03:39 PM..