Actuarial Outpost
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 1/P - Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:02 PM

Try again
Old 11-30-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by gg too ez View Post
If you can pass P, you can pass the rest. Good luck.
I like your optimism
Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I know many people that hit the wall on their first exam and subsequently passed the others in one or very few tries.

"I'm here to entertain, and inform." -George Carlin
Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 PM
Studying for FAP
College: University of Manitoba, Alumni

Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I like your optimism
I stopped watching Arsenal for 3 years, your Avatar makes me realize that Arsenal still exist.

FAP 1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA
Old 12-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Default Yikes! Your 2009 manual is almost a decade old!

Originally Posted by kamran124 View Post
I used Actex Manual (2009 Edition) to study
We'd suggest using a newer edition of the ACTEX manual. The 2009 edition is almost a decade old! The SOA changes exam syllabi objectives every few years so that ancient edition likely doesn't cover all of the current objectives.

Here's the new ACTEX Exam P Manual Spring 2018 edition. Or you could check these forums for a used copy of a more recent edition!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Studying for Exam 6
College: University of Notre Dame - alumni
Favorite beer: Guinness

For exam P, then again for exam 5 (CAS), I found that my problem wasn't the material, but how I was approaching the studying/learning process. Once you can figure out a successful study strategy, you can apply it equally to all of the prelims. Once I figured out how to study for P, I passed it and all the prelims in a sprint. I had to regroup and redesign my study strategy for the uppers as well.

In the end, how badly do you want this? Do you want to do just enough to possibly pass, or do you want to invest in your future by giving yourself the best opportunity now? The answer to this idea should give you direction in how to proceed.
P, FM, MFE, ST, LC, C, 5, 6

Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Favorite beer: Mead actually

Well FWIW, my situation was similar to yours. My background is in accounting and never really took any math/stat aside from the introductory courses. I have a few things that might be useful for you:

1. As for study guide, I had use "Deeper Understanding, Faster Calculation - Exam P/1 Insights & Shortcuts Study Manual." from Guo (it's on Actex Madriver). I thought his guide is really easy to understand for someone without much Math/Stat background. I used his study guide for both P and FM and I passed both exams on my first attempt. Cost is $85

2. When you said you gone through the 326 sample questions a couple times, did u just did all 326 questions a couple times? I would do all 326 questions once, mark down the ones u did wrong, or had a difficult times, then do the marked ones. Then you further mark down the ones you still have difficulties... etc etc. Guo had mentioned this in his study material, it isn't the number of questions you did, it's the number of questions you understood that'd gonna help you pass.

3. You might be doing this already if you have written any professional exams before, but timing is essential. You need to limit the time you spend on each question to 5 minutes (give or take 30 seconds). You have to do this for every practice question you worked on so you are used to it on the exam.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rojo Habanero; 12-14-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 02:49 PM

1) Use Finan's book, it's free and sufficient to pass P. ($0)
2) Go through the sample questions until you can do them all. ($0)
3) Then buy a 2 week (or more time if you're flush with cash) ADAPT subscription from coaching actuaries and take as many practice exams as you can stomach. Both for speed + seeing more questions. ($80-$100+)
4) Probably pass.

You can use the exact same method for FM. I'd recommend replacing point 1 with ASM for MFE & C, not sure what the new exams when you get there will look like at this point but probably still holds true.

exam p/1