Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 12-28-2017, 04:49 PM
SOA

College: Carnegi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
That's correct. reads "U is in the interval between 3 and 10/3". It is just another way of writing

I worked backwards to determine the numbers 10/3 and 5. I knew that there would be certainty of if since 2U is its lower bound.

Similarly, there is certainty that if since 3U is its upper bound.

The problem becomes a weighted sum of the conditional probabilities in each of those cases (weighted by the unconditional probability of each case) using the law of total probability. That's the discrete version.

The integral itself is an application of the continuous version of the law of total probability (you integrate times the PDF of over the possible values of ). Note: here is really since we're within a specific case of our first use of the law of total probability... but I thought it might be confusing if I wrote that.

Does that make sense?
So if I'm understanding this correctly this is what you are saying.

I have to break up the range into 3 parts and then find the probability of each section and multiply by the conditional density.

Therefore, the answer should look something like this.

P(3<U<10/3|X>10)*P(X>10) + P(10/3<U<5|X>10)*P(X>10) + P(5<U<6|X>10)*P(X>10) =

Thank you again for your input and wish you happy holidays and a happy new year!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslee85 View Post
So if I'm understanding this correctly this is what you are saying.

I have to break up the range into 3 parts and then find the probability of each section and multiply by the conditional density.

Therefore, the answer should look something like this.

P(3<U<10/3|X>10)*P(X>10) + P(10/3<U<5|X>10)*P(X>10) + P(5<U<6|X>10)*P(X>10) =

Thank you again for your input and wish you happy holidays and a happy new year!
You've got it a little mixed up dslee85.

The overall sum is in this form:

Here is the sum in the same order:

Then the integral within is an application of the continuous law of total probability.

Here A is the event X>=10 given 10/3<U<5 and the pdf is of U|(10/3<U<5)... it's just more complicated looking because we're within an outer use of the law of total probability.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you as well!

Last edited by Z3ta; 12-28-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-28-2017, 07:02 PM
SOA

College: Carnegi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
You've got it a little mixed up dslee85.

The overall sum is in this form:

My sum has each of those products in the reverse order:

Then the integral within is an application of the continuous law of total probability.

Here A is the event X>=10 given 10/3<U<5 and the pdf is of U|(10/3<U<5)... it's just more complicated looking because we're within an outer use of the law of total probability.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you as well!
The solution you posted is not showing. Below "My sum has each of those products in the reverse order:" Could you upload it differently?
Thank you.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
So in summary, I should have 3 integrations where one ranges from 3 ~ 10/3, and another one between 10/3 ~ 5, and the last one between 5 ~ 6. Got it!

Thank you very much for your explanation! Happy holidays and a happy new year!
Close to what I said. Even closer is that you need to think about the integrals for each of those three ranges (of the outer integral of the double integrals). Determining the upper and lower limits for each of those inside integrals will help you. Happy holidays and a happy new year to you, too, and good luck on the exam.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
The solution you posted is not showing. Below "My sum has each of those products in the reverse order:" Could you upload it differently?
Thank you.
I edited my post. Can you see it now? I just rewrote part of my solution for reference there.