Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 AM
SOA

Studying for FM
Favorite beer: Natty Litey
Default Exam FM/2 December 2017 Thread

Creating this thread for the December sitting. Recently sat for October and noticed nobody ever created a thread that we can all complain and think on...
Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 AM
SOA

Studying for Stats
Favorite beer: Sin Tax

Thanks for starting this tread! I am exactly a month out and need to step it up. How is studying going for everyone else?
Old 11-15-2017, 01:00 PM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni

Good idea starting a thread for this exam. Feel free to post any questions about the exam that you have. I'll try to remember to come back regularly and check.

One month left - perfect time to step it up a notch and start the Study Strategy Boost!

You might also like my Daily Exam FM questions Facebook group. I've just recently created it and will start posting questions next week. I post them as a poll so that members can select their guess to the solution.

Brea
--
Fellowship Exams
Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet - The #1 way to set your studying priorities (Shows you which readings are historically tested most often)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 PM

College: MSU

3 weeks to go!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:49 AM
SOA

College: SFU

Is anybody here using the 12th edition of the ASM manual? If so, how are you guys finding the practice exams?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 PM
SOA

Hi guys!

I am about a month in studying for FM and am using the ASM manual along with Adapt. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for what kinds of problems are likely to appear the most on this exam. Also, if anyone has already taken this and subsequent exams I would be interested to know if any of these topics are revisited in later exams.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 10:17 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlong689 View Post
Hi guys!

I am about a month in studying for FM and am using the ASM manual along with Adapt. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for what kinds of problems are likely to appear the most on this exam. Also, if anyone has already taken this and subsequent exams I would be interested to know if any of these topics are revisited in later exams.

Thanks
Hey!

If you look at the syllabus it gives you a general guideline as to what % of questions will be related to each topic. I'm not sure how accurately the SOA follows those percentages though so you probably don't want to rely on them too much.

The topics on FM are definitely used in future exams.. MFE builds a lot on the FM topics and the concepts learned in FM are used throughout your actuarial career too.

Brea
--
Fellowship Exams
Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet - The #1 way to set your studying priorities (Shows you which readings are historically tested most often)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:10 AM
SOA

Studying for Stats

I know this is posted in a lot of different places, but I want to reiterate how great the Coaching Actuaries ADAPT and Review for FM is treating me for my last minute cram review. To learn the material, I used ASM. This was an excellent manual for learning the content and equations the first time through. However, I am a visual learner and the diagrams CA provides in the explanations have been really helpful in strengthening my understanding of everything. I was looking at a lot of the offered last minute reviews, and I am glad I chose ADAPT and Review FM.

Last edited by Cation; 11-30-2017 at 11:14 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM
CAS SOA

Post FM Advice

Hi all,

I am sitting for FM in December. I took it once before and failed but this was before they made the syllabus changes. Has anyone taken it after the new changes have been made? The syllabus makes it seem like an entire section is just concept based not calculation based. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2017, 01:03 PM
SOA

Studying for Stats

Anyone take the December exam yet? If so, what did you think?