Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: How many days per week do you WFH?
0 98 50.26%
1 44 22.56%
2 16 8.21%
3 3 1.54%
4 2 1.03%
5 22 11.28%
6 1 0.51%
7 4 2.05%
42 5 2.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2018, 01:18 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Default 2018 WFH poll

How many days do you work from home each week? I realise there may already be another poll on this, but it's useful to have another one to see if things have changed since the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:04 PM
SOA

From a thread about 3 years ago, it seemed like more than a few people commented that working from home limits your upward potential.

Is that attitude still there? Say you perform just as well at home as in office. Are you more likely to be promoted if you are in the office 5 days a week versus 3?
Old 03-16-2018, 04:10 PM
SOA

0 but only because I hate working from home
Old 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

1-2, closer to 2 nowadays.

I would not be working at my current job if I had to be in the office 5 days a week.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:50 PM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

I voted zero, but I can elect to work form home when I am sick or the weather is really wintry or if I have some errand in the middle of the day and it doesn't make sense to return.

If I'm running multiple iterations of some macro that takes a while to churn, I might go home at 2pm and run them throughout the evening, but it's been awhile since that scenario reared its ugly head.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrage View Post
From a thread about 3 years ago, it seemed like more than a few people commented that working from home limits your upward potential.

Is that attitude still there? Say you perform just as well at home as in office. Are you more likely to be promoted if you are in the office 5 days a week versus 3?
I would say your potential is capped if you are full time remote. Not sure how much extra potential you gain from being in the office 4 days instead of 3 days though.

currently Im at 1 day a week without issue. Im thinking about pushing this to 2-3 a week though. Biggest down side side is network speeds at home. biggest upside is privacy at the home office. the cube farm at work is soul crushing.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:21 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

Promoted to what? Doing the same thing before the promotion? Probably not. And that would not be a "promotion" as much as it is, "we'd like to pay you more, and the only way to do that is to put you in a higher HR bracket," type thing.

If we consider promotion as "being responsible for a lot of work that requires your managing other people," then maybe working exclusively from home does not provide the decision-makers with enough information to believe that a home-worker can manage. And will give that job to someone else.

The flexibility of a company to allow WFH seems, to me, to be a very productive way to do business. As a requirement (by the worker), yeah, it's probably still a bit stifling, career-wise.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Quote:

My firm has become more open to it over the past 5+ years. At one point I felt it was holding me back, but the past few years (also coinciding with finishing exams), my role has advanced/expanded.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
1-2, closer to 2 nowadays.

I would not be working at my current job if I had to be in the office 5 days a week.
R U me?

(No, I can confirm from the other thread your way smarter and more talented than I)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
0 but only because I hate working from home
+1

and i live 15 mins drive from the office