Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

View Poll Results: How many days per week do you WFH?
0 98 50.26%
1 44 22.56%
2 16 8.21%
3 3 1.54%
4 2 1.03%
5 22 11.28%
6 1 0.51%
7 4 2.05%
42 5 2.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2018, 04:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrage View Post
How long were you at your company before getting the 100% WFH arrangement? Still seems rare to be able to find a new job that would allow this, but I am sure there are some out there.
I got it when I changed jobs. Yes, they're very rare.

The easiest way to get it is to switch to a company that requires a unique skillset that you have and that is rare in the market. It could be a specific product line, software, regulation etc. Although it will be like you're selling your skillset (and this sometimes mean you won't be learning a lot of new stuff), but I guess I was just lucky to find a position that allows me to learn a great deal of new things as well.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrage View Post
From a thread about 3 years ago, it seemed like more than a few people commented that working from home limits your upward potential.

Is that attitude still there? Say you perform just as well at home as in office. Are you more likely to be promoted if you are in the office 5 days a week versus 3?
I still think it definitely limits your potential, but it depends what kind of role you ultimately want as an actuary. If you're happy being a technical, individual contributor for your whole career, then it likely doesn't matter as much. If you want to rise into a management or leadership position and start to partner with other areas beyond just actuaries then I don't see it happening easily if you're not visible to senior management.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I'm about to work for a company that notoriously disallows WFH although interestingly my boss flies in for 2-3 days/week from another state, so it must be changing.

My current job is very liberal with WFH when needed. My boss didn't show up for a month when his wife was recovering from surgery. GL doing that at some firms.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:39 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I'm about to work for a company that notoriously disallows WFH although interestingly my boss flies in for 2-3 days/week from another state, so it must be changing.

My current job is very liberal with WFH when needed. My boss didn't show up for a month when his wife was recovering from surgery. GL doing that at some firms.
So what happens if you just wfh when your boss isn't around? Is there someone walking around to make sure you're in the office no matter what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post

Why did you choose to work for such a crappy company?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:01 PM
CAS

Out of sight, out of mind, imo. When something big comes down the tubes, and management is looking for someone to solve a problem, you want to be there. It's not a strict limit though, just a hurdle and potential trap. If you're brilliant and develop a reputation for being able to solve hard problems you can afford to be somewhere else. But it's hard to develop that reputation of you're not around to jump at the opportunities. And forget about moving into management
Old 03-29-2018, 01:32 PM
SOA

A big example of no problems with promotions whatsoever with WFH is consulting. This especially becomes true when you have teams in multiple offices or people in the team working from home. You're either required to travel to the client (where you can still meet your team) or can work from wherever you want. Its very common for people to get promoted to manager and senior manager in such a setting. You may even see executive directors and partners, although for partners it might be a little more difficult. Partners are on the road 80% of the time anyway so not sure if it matters for them.

WFH is also getting very common in the industry (non-consulting) as its getting difficult to hire people with certain skillset. Employers are allowing supervisors to work remotely, with some sort of travel (like once a month).

I think actuarial will continue its adoption of WFH policies similar to IT.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:25 PM
SOA

Studying for Health Foundations

Currently 3-4 days a week, used to be 2-3, but I carpool with someone who has stopped coming in one of the days I used to drive in, and I don't like driving when I can't use the HOV lane

My old company "started" a beta test for WFH and then abruptly dropped it because they didn't have approval from the parent company whose board members 86'd the idea after it was brought to them . I found my new job shortly after that It wasn't what made me start searching, but it was/is a big plus to changing.

Most people here (not just actuaries) telecommute at least one day a week (or do some form of flex time whether it's four 10 hour days or 80 hours over 9 days), and there are a lot of employees who WFH full time.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:59 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for life after exams
Favorite beer: Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'

Been working from home 100% since 2010. I live 400 miles from the closest actuarial office and I never seen anyone on my team. Hasn't been too bad. I've been promoted twice during that time period. Also, they pay for my internet at $85/month.

However, the best thing by far about WFH is not having to spend time commuting. Time is really important to me. Really, time is one of the most valuable resources that we have. There's no use spending an hour every day in a car.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternSierra View Post
Been working from home 100% since 2010. I live 400 miles from the closest actuarial office and I never seen anyone on my team. Hasn't been too bad. I've been promoted twice during that time period. Also, they pay for my internet at $85/month.

However, the best thing by far about WFH is not having to spend time commuting. Time is really important to me. Really, time is one of the most valuable resources that we have. There's no use spending an hour every day in a car.
This is my goal. Time to start polishing up my resume, applying to new places and once I have an offer in hand maybe I could talk my current company into allowing this (they won't now).

But I guess I had better be ready to take on a new job if I go this route.