Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 12-13-2001, 05:40 PM
Anonymous

I tend to think that's the norm. It's always tough to know how many of those postings are still open vs. outdated but they've been looking for people for as long as I've been here.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:32 AM
Anonymous

It is hard for GE to recruit a new hire

1) actuary has a low profile in the company
2) odd locations (Lynchburg, Richmond, San Rafael, Seattle, Enfield, Fort Washington, Schaumburg, etc)
3) low pay (probably due to the low cost of living)
4) longer working hours
5) higher work demands due to the under staffing (catch-22)
6) bad publicity in this board?
Old 12-14-2001, 11:21 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
On 2001-12-13 16:32, Magilla wrote:
Getting back to the point at hand, I've noticed that GE has stepped up its actuarial recruiting efforts of late. One GE ad aimed at actuarial personnel stated that there were several actuarial positions available at 3 ot 4 of its divisions. The San Rafael division (LTC), for example, is currently recruiting for 7 actuarial positions.

Is GE gearing up for growth or are the number of jobs being recruited for the norm?
In Lynchburg in the last 6 months, we have lost 3 of our 12 students to other companies, and 2 actuaries to layoffs ("headcount reductions" in GE-speak) (granted, the 2 actuaries weren't really pulling their weight). None have been replaced, and I suspect it is because they aren't trying. No one's even been interviewed. It isn't impossible to get people to come here. I love this town. Location is the #1 reason I am at this company.

I will say this as a plus, the student program here is very good compared to many companies. Generous study time (well, if you can take it), seminars with meals & travel, and books & study guides. Also, the exam raises are pretty competitive.

But I can't say I am happy working here. I think it says a lot that GE is consistently rated "Best Company" in Fortune mag by other CEO's, and consistently never makes the "Best Companies to work for" list. If you are an ambitious person who wants to climb a corporate ladder and is willing to do what that takes, GE is a good ladder to climb. If you just want to be an actuary and do actuarial work (and get recognized for it), and maybe spend a little time with your family, you can still work for GE, but you will be in the boat (with me) that anon accurately described above where the only raise you get is a 4% COLA every 16 months.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:06 PM
Anonymous

Does anyone have any views concerning ERC in Overland Paark, KS?
Old 12-14-2001, 03:15 PM
Anonymous

Yeah. Scratch GE off my list too...I've heard enough bad (and little good) for my tastes.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:41 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
On 2001-12-14 09:32, Anonymous wrote:
3) low pay (probably due to the low cost of living)
Please define "low pay" since I'm curious to know how I managed the 30% bump in coming to Smalltown USA.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:11 PM
Anonymous

low pay? high pay?

come on guys, drop some numbers for us so we are not comparing apples to oranges.

Consulting acts start in the 5's
Lifer starts upper 4'S

what about GE act. student?
anyone?
Old 12-14-2001, 04:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
On 2001-12-14 15:11, Anonymous wrote:
low pay? high pay?

come on guys, drop some numbers for us so we are not comparing apples to oranges.

Consulting acts start in the 5's
Lifer starts upper 4'S

what about GE act. student?
anyone?
Don't have a starting salary I can give you but I took an extra 20K when I moved to GE. This is at the ASA level.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:46 PM

Could it be a case where the starting GE salaries are above market but the raises are few (4%) and far (18 months) between? It's like getting lapped in a race where you started with a lead. Unless, of course, you leave within a couple years of starting GE.

:smk:

Old 12-14-2001, 04:54 PM
Anonymous

Well, simplify things for us ... who's getting more than a COLA increase at their current company, other than exam increases ?

Or compare salaries side-by-side and who's better off, someone at 80K getting 4%/year or someone at 60K getting X%/year. Solve for X and then tell me who's handing out increases 10 times higher than inflation is running ? It'll take a while before anyone is making up for that initial boost.

Don't assume that anyone is in a job for life either. Anyone is free to leave after a couple of years.