Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Non-Actuary

Default Employment for actuarial science majors

I'm currently figuring out which career to pursue and have taken interest in this field but it is a relatively hidden one, so I would like to get some real answers (I know many of you want to keep others out of the business, but it's easy to spot these "go away" posts, I've seen people write some pretty exaggerate things about this career).

What I would like to know, most of all, is the overall outlook for students who are mpw studying Actuarial Science. Are there enough jobs for most graduates? Is employment rate high? All the stuff I read in the internet is misleading. I read a post about how a whole classroom got hired before finishing their degrees, and another saying that there are too many actuaries for current job openings, and it certainly confuses me. I'm deciding between this and computer science, so if you can share any experience or advice, please do, this is a decision I must make now due to circumstances. Sorry if my english is not perfect, my native language is spanish. Thank you very much inn advance and have a very nice day =) .

And by the way, I haven't been able to find any posts with much information about current employment rates, and so I'm posting this (before you repeat the good old "this has been asked a hundred times here").
Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 AM
SOA

Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaspada894 View Post
I'm deciding between this and computer science, so if you can share any experience or advice, please do, this is a decision I must make now due to circumstances.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 AM
Non-Actuary

demasiado tiempo no leyó
Old 01-12-2015, 12:37 AM
Non-Actuary

I'm new to this site, please do not start flaming right away, it looks as if though you just wait to flame on someone.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaspada894 View Post
I'm new to this site, please do not start flaming right away, it looks as if though you just wait to flame on someone.
A summary of the advice you'll receive:

Don't study actuarial science. Major in something that interests you and prepare for the exams on your own.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:46 AM
Non-Actuary

Well, guess that's the way to go!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 AM
CAS

Studying for C
Favorite beer: Harpoon IPA

Actuarial Science is a safe major, don't let anybody tell you that it's not. I received my bachelor's from a mid-tier university and only had one exam passed. My key to success was having two internships (one related to actuarial work,) so do everything you can to secure an internship while still in school. I had standing offers from 3 of the largest P&C insurers in the country, but I was also flexible in my location choice. Good luck out there.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:52 AM

Computer science no contest. That major is actually useful.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 AM

Although - devil's advocate:

For some reason it seems much easier to outsource certain computer science jobs than it does actuarial jobs.

Tags
advice., employment, real analysis