Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:22 AM
SOA AAA

One time when I worked at Zurich, all the Swiss honchos came for a board meeting. We had a banquet that evening and all of us execs from the US company were seated with them at the end of a long boardroom like table. The Swiss were a bunch of stern looking old white guys. We had one woman on our team (Sharon).

At the end of the meal, brandy snifters were doled out and a big wooden box of honkin' cigars were passed around the table. They light up and start talking international events and politics. Everybody was lighting up and a few of us were offering Sharon some big bucks to grab a cigar and light up. She's laughing and wouldn't do it. One of the old Swiss guys leans over to one of us and asks in a german accent..."Who's da woman?".

No point in the story - you probably had to be there. But something tells me there are a few women in this thread who would have grabbed the cigar!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:32 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
No point in the story - you probably had to be there. But something tells me there are a few women in this thread who would have grabbed the cigar!
I'll be honest, I would *not* have (though I've also not been in this thread so far, just catching up). I think this is one of those things you have to watch out for and which wasn't considered in the past, is whether people are being inadvertently excluded or implied not to belong. Ask yourself, if roles were reversed, you were the only guy, and this was something stereotypically feminine that people were participating in (like they handed out sewing kits or something), what would be your reaction.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

LinkedIn Profile
Old 09-05-2019, 10:42 AM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
The starker thing I've noticed is the combination of gender + ethnicities. A lot of white men and Asian women. Not a huge amount of white women, Asian men or black/hispanic men/women.
I just attended the Val Act, and I noticed lots of white women (probably the same amount or more than Asian women). However I do agree there are very few black/Hispanic men or women (not just at the Val Act, but in general).
Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
I'll be honest, I would *not* have (though I've also not been in this thread so far, just catching up). I think this is one of those things you have to watch out for and which wasn't considered in the past, is whether people are being inadvertently excluded or implied not to belong. Ask yourself, if roles were reversed, you were the only guy, and this was something stereotypically feminine that people were participating in (like they handed out sewing kits or something), what would be your reaction.
I don't know, it depends. I was kind of irreverent back in the day - might explain why I'm not CEO of Zurich today. i will say that my wife and I were once invited to her friends birthday party and they had a male stripper. I have to admit I was a bit uncomfortable there and unwilling to partake in the "activities"
Old 09-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafet View Post
https://www.casact.org/about/thecas/...eport-2018.pdf

Page 3 of the CAS annual report has a gender breakdown. Women make up about 30.5% of CAS members as of 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Hmmm, an age distribution would have helped, too.
I've seen an age breakdown, and yes, the % female is higher for younger cohorts, although once you exclude the over-60 crowd, the trend isn't very pronounced. I think the under-30 cohort is about 40% female.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:12 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

These stories make me feel uncomfortable. Whatever happened to good 'ole gender neutral activities?

like mahjong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
One time when I worked at Zurich, all the Swiss honchos came for a board meeting. We had a banquet that evening and all of us execs from the US company were seated with them at the end of a long boardroom like table. The Swiss were a bunch of stern looking old white guys. We had one woman on our team (Sharon).

At the end of the meal, brandy snifters were doled out and a big wooden box of honkin' cigars were passed around the table. They light up and start talking international events and politics. Everybody was lighting up and a few of us were offering Sharon some big bucks to grab a cigar and light up. She's laughing and wouldn't do it. One of the old Swiss guys leans over to one of us and asks in a german accent..."Who's da woman?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
I would not have -- not because it's "male" but because smoking is disgusting. Cigars are a little less disgusting than cigarettes, but not much.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I've seen an age breakdown, and yes, the % female is higher for younger cohorts, although once you exclude the over-60 crowd, the trend isn't very pronounced. I think the under-30 cohort is about 40% female.
Not too shabby, considering that math & stats are at about 40% of undergrad degrees going to women:

http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/1...jor-1970-2012/
Spoiler:

More recent stats here:
https://www.nsf.gov/statistics/2017/...statistics.cfm

LinkedIn Profile
Old 09-05-2019, 11:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
i was thinking it