Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #891  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM
Doctor Doctor is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
AmEx Premier Rewards Gold is apparently upping to 4x on dining and supermarkets (up from 2x), and adding a $120 (in the form of $10/mo) credit on Grubhub, Cheesecake Factory () Ruth's Chris, and Shake Shack. That's in addition to the 3x on airfare and $100 travel free credit which can typically be redeemed for gift cards. With a $195 fee that's waived in year one, might need to get that one. Probably will wait for a 50k signup to happen again.
50k sign up is available via incognito mode.
Reply With Quote
  #892  
Old 09-22-2018, 03:01 PM
El Actuario's Avatar
El Actuario El Actuario is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Cheesecake Factory is for people that want to feel fancy but can't afford fancy
The Po doesn’t have Michelin 3-star restaurants.
Reply With Quote
  #893  
Old 11-07-2018, 03:45 PM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County
Posts: 6,497
Default

Went to get an insurance quote at my company today for our new home and was taken aback when our internal credit-based insurance score model returned a score in the bottom 15% of our book. I was really surprised since my understanding was that credit-based insurance scores are largely correlated with FICO scores, but despite having an 800+ credit score I was hit with a rating factor 10% higher than average. Unfortunately our model is third-party proprietary so I don't know what's driving the poor rating, but I assume it has something to do with opening a credit card every few months.
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
  #894  
Old 11-07-2018, 04:12 PM
twig93's Avatar
twig93 twig93 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
I don't know what's driving the poor rating, but I assume it has something to do with opening a credit card every few months.
That seems like a safe assumption!

Are you married? Can you get the insurance in your wife's name? (If she's not churning credit cards like you are, that is.)

When hubby & I went to get a a mortgage I qualified for a better rate than he did. If we got the joint mortgage we'd have a higher rate than if I got the mortgage all by myself. (Which points to a colossal stupidity on the part of the lender - or possibly the FHA rules that they were conforming to - I'm not sure which, but I digress.) So the house is in both our names but the mortgage is in my name only.

His credit score was like 735 when you needed 740 to get the best rate. I don't remember what my score was, but well over 740 at any rate.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gandalf
The thing that is clearest is twig's advice
Reply With Quote
  #895  
Old 11-07-2018, 04:17 PM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County
Posts: 6,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
That seems like a safe assumption!

Are you married? Can you get the insurance in your wife's name? (If she's not churning credit cards like you are, that is.)

When hubby & I went to get a a mortgage I qualified for a better rate than he did. If we got the joint mortgage we'd have a higher rate than if I got the mortgage all by myself. (Which points to a colossal stupidity on the part of the lender - or possibly the FHA rules that they were conforming to - I'm not sure which, but I digress.) So the house is in both our names but the mortgage is in my name only.

His credit score was like 735 when you needed 740 to get the best rate. I don't remember what my score was, but well over 740 at any rate.
She churns too. The benefits still far outweigh the marginal cost of insurance, although it was not an expense I had in my cost-benefit.
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
  #896  
Old 11-07-2018, 04:28 PM
twig93's Avatar
twig93 twig93 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
She churns too. The benefits still far outweigh the marginal cost of insurance, although it was not an expense I had in my cost-benefit.
It still might be worth checking if she churns less than you or even just differently than you.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gandalf
The thing that is clearest is twig's advice
Reply With Quote
  #897  
Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 PM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County
Posts: 6,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
It still might be worth checking if she churns less than you or even just differently than you.
I do all the churning and just use her info. We have almost identical cards, although my FICO is a bit higher.
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
  #898  
Old 12-03-2018, 01:20 PM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County
Posts: 6,497
Default

Getting back into the churning game. Recently used the wife's Amex Platinum 20% off Amazon purchase for the full $100 credit. Kind of regretting cancelling my Amex Platinum last year since I would have gotten a lot of value from it.

Just applied to SWA Biz a few days ago. If I get denied for that I'll probably try Amex Gold. Currently at 4/24, next month I'll be at 1/24.
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
  #899  
Old 12-03-2018, 04:00 PM
wat?'s Avatar
wat? wat? is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hi
Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA
Posts: 33,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
Recently used the wife's Amex Platinum 20% off Amazon purchase
say what



Amex Offers?
__________________
"Mathematical Induction: How mathematicians manage to suck all the fun out of lining up a row of dominos, knocking the one on the end down, and watching the entire row fall." -BC
Skip it. - AG

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Reply With Quote
  #900  
Old 12-03-2018, 04:34 PM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County
Posts: 6,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
say what



Amex Offers?
This was effective for my account - I also used it in July:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/20-per...rship-rewards/
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.17175 seconds with 11 queries