Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post

I have some jobs that copy a zipped file locally and unzips it for processing that runs much quicker than just processing the unzipped data off the network drive.
I'm assuming you want to keep the zip file, otherwise you could save time still by unzipping directly from the network to your local drive, no?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Note Contributor
SOA AAA

Studying for a way to escape
College: Illinois College ('87)
Favorite beer: Stag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumples View Post
I'm assuming you want to keep the zip file, otherwise you could save time still by unzipping directly from the network to your local drive, no?
I'll have to check my logic, that may be what I'm actually doing. It might be the zip creation that I do locally and then copy the zip back to the network. Our network guys are grateful for me storing zip instead of txt on the lan as these are pretty sizable files.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
SOA AAA

College: Meeeshigan
Favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted IPA & kunhenn's DRIPA

Thanks for the feedback.

I do have all the files, excel and text, on my hard drive. I, too, have learned over time to avoid the network traffic jams.

I am not writing to any workbooks, per se. I get policy information from a input text file, do some calculations in excel and in the VBA itself based on the policy information, and then write selected information to a second text file (note, there is only one input file and one output file).

s-5, I do use some worksheetfunctions, but most of the calculations are on the worksheet. I'm considering moving all but a few items into the VBA code. There are some parameters that I'd keep on the worksheet, like file directory, file name, etc.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:17 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Pacifico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty Bystander View Post
I have an excel macro. I open a text file with policy information, I calculate some values on a worksheet, then capture output to a second text file with a write statement. I''m doing this on a seriatim basis and everything works fine, but I'd like to speed things up.
I agree with the prior posts, and just throw in this cutie, which is mondo compact and it ain't slow. This is for fixed length records. (I've only used Line Input otherwise)
Code:
  Dim myStr(99999) As String * 82
  Open "foobar.txt" For Binary As #1  
  Get #1, , myStr
  Close #1
If speed matters - sorry, Microsoft, but someone has to care about it - IMO the most serious Excel calculation resource is
http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedd.htm and
http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsj.htm and the rest of that site.

If you post your code, you might get more specific advice.
ON STRIKE. Thomas Jefferson and I are on strike against AO over a little matter called the First Amendment and censorship against dissenting views. I hereby choose to toss my voluntary contributions into the Harbor rather than accede in slavery to the oppressor.