Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 01-12-2019, 12:06 AM
SOA

I donít like that we only have this much time until advanced. Just got the results for core. I prefer to study for 5-6 months, but I donít have that option now /:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imareal1 View Post
I've been reading the MATE study guide, about 30% through. It's surprisingly condensed at ~200 pages. I really don't like that it doesn't have example problems to illustrate math concepts and it often refers to tables/graphs in the source material which I don't have. It also entirely skips "background only" readings. Most likely getting TIA to supplement.
How many MATE flash cards?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Issac View Post
I don’t like that we only have this much time until advanced. Just got the results for core. I prefer to study for 5-6 months, but I don’t have that option now /:
If you are new to Advanced I would only take it if it’s your last exam left, since it’s changing next fall.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:17 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post
How many MATE flash cards?
A fair estimate is roughly 300

Last exam had 276 TIA cards
Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Issac View Post
I donít like that we only have this much time until advanced. Just got the results for core. I prefer to study for 5-6 months, but I donít have that option now /:
Agree with this +100. I passed Core last spring and decided not to try to sit for Adv in the fall. with 2 kids at home 3 months study is an impossible task. i started looking at Adv material in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude30 View Post
If you are new to Advanced I would only take it if itís your last exam left, since itís changing next fall.
L30 are you taking the GH track exams right now?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Agree with this +100. I passed Core last spring and decided not to try to sit for Adv in the fall. with 2 kids at home 3 months study is an impossible task. i started looking at Adv material in December.

L30 are you taking the GH track exams right now?
Yes, struggling on it. I thought I nailed it but got the disappointing news Yesterday and now Iím fired up to do something about it. I have a family to support and I have a lot of people depending on me passing this. I will work with you guys to pass it and help you pass it in return.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude30 View Post
Yes, struggling on it. I thought I nailed it but got the disappointing news Yesterday and now Iím fired up to do something about it. I have a family to support and I have a lot of people depending on me passing this. I will work with you guys to pass it and help you pass it in return.
Didnt realize you were a G&H guy- sorry about the exam results- good luck preparing for the spring sitting.

I also support a family and understand the stress that goes along with it.

my best advice for klids+exams is EFFECTIVE study hours. might only get 150 hours for this whole exam, so i gotta make each one count 100%.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Didnt realize you were a G&H guy- sorry about the exam results- good luck preparing for the spring sitting.

I also support a family and understand the stress that goes along with it.

my best advice for klids+exams is EFFECTIVE study hours. might only get 150 hours for this whole exam, so i gotta make each one count 100%.
The other problem I have is what new materials do you recommend? Very tight financially but this is a high priority passing this. I think my focus should be specifically practice exams galore

Last edited by Latitude30; 01-12-2019 at 01:00 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 01:22 PM
SOA

College: Concordia University

Do you guys know if there are any differences between the Fall 2018 and the Spring 2019 syllabus?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:04 PM
SOA

I wonder if there’s a practice test company that not only administers SOA-like practice exams, but will grade them if you scan and email your written work. Or mail it