Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

I vaguely remember seeing that at the time. And I thought it wasn't a bad idea. But it never went anywhere.

If the change were made, how would it affect dues for members of the organizations that joined it? Would there be some potential cost savings to people in SOA/CAS who now often pay AAA dues as well?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:45 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
I have a copy of the final Governance Task Force for anyone who may be interested. It has an interesting report from the silly consultant retained, apparently, to "help" us understand the situation who contributed as follows:

"He indicated to us that contested elections are not considered “best practices” in association governance today. This is because, whenever there is a popular election, one candidate will become “the winner”, and all the other candidates will become “losers”. The “losers” will be discouraged from continuing their prior level of participation. In addition, the election can be unnecessarily polarizing to the membership and the leadership. Popular elections typically result in the most popular candidates winning-- not necessarily the most qualified. The Academy is then deprived of the opportunity to nurture talent and prepare future leaders from among those losing an election."

I cannot believe we paid that guy.
I've done some sleuthing and I think I was able to find a picture of that consultant:

In all seriousness though, thank you for that background information. Interesting to see that there have been concerns stretching back at least a decade over the election structure itself and also the structure of the organization as a whole. I'm very happy to see that a set of leaders within the actuarial profession have at least tried to look out for the general public like myself who isn't really involved in anything other than my everyday work.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
I don't remember getting this but found it in my electronic files. It is a letter from Academy Board members suggesting changes in the Academy structure for reasons they (and I) highlight.

This letter was actually signed by the four names at the bottom.

I don't know what the outcome of this was but I did serve on the Governance Committee (2010) mentioned and don't recall it resulting in any substantive governance changes actually being made.

You can see, however, that we continue to question the same practices today as we did then regarding elections and a member based organization. In 2009 some Academy Board members were proposing an even more extreme change in Academy structure.

I have a copy of the final Governance Task Force for anyone who may be interested. It has an interesting report from the silly consultant retained, apparently, to "help" us understand the situation who contributed as follows:

Why not? He seems to have done his job perfectly: legitimizing the answer the clients told him they wanted to hear.

Governance task force: Please help us understand governance best practices. [whispering]Oh, and by the way, make sure that you tell us that having an unaccountable cabal is best for everyone.[/whisper]

Consultant: Good news everyone! An unaccountable cabal is the best governance practice for your industry. Much better than contested elections. Surprisingly, not only is the unaccountable cabal better for the cabal, it's even better for the losers, because it doesn't draw so much attention to the fact that they aren't winners!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Why not? He seems to have done his job perfectly: legitimizing the answer the clients told him they wanted to hear.

Governance task force: Please help us understand governance best practices. [whispering]Oh, and by the way, make sure that you tell us that having an unaccountable cabal is best for everyone.[/whisper]

Consultant: Good news everyone! An unaccountable cabal is the best governance practice for your industry. Much better than contested elections. Surprisingly, not only is the unaccountable cabal better for the cabal, it's even better for the losers, because it doesn't draw so much attention to the fact that they aren't winners!
You have a good point. I agree with you. I was there and heard him make that point. When I realized that many other Governance Committee members actually believed it I thought I must be on the wrong planet.

The Governance Committee was, by the way, not a continuing committee. It was created specifically to address the governance issues of the day. Once it made its final report it was discharged.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 11-16-2018, 04:17 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

It sounds like that guys recommendations were boiler plate for associations. I think that might make some sense for an industry association with volunteer members that they try to recruit (ie ones whose members do not become qualified due to some professionally attained status/qualification), but not so much for professional membership associations like the SOA or AAA.

Tags
academy, asb, blackhole, coq, sunnyside up, sunrise, sunset, sunshine