Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Pension - Social Security
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-27-2016, 11:10 PM
SOA

Default Bridging benefit provisions

A retirement plan I do work for is seeking to "bridge" cost of living adjustments. If you are not familiar with the term, the active participants would receive no COLA on the accrued benefit earned for future service accruals. The plan is considering adopting this either on a frozen basis or on a final average salary basis such that the COLA accrued to date could still increase with future salary increases.

Unfortunately our valuation system can't efficiently/appropriately value such a provision. My questions to you- Have you encountered a similar situation (perhaps with a different benefit provision like an age/svc retirement condition)? If so, how did you value such a provision and what valuation software did you use?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2016, 09:48 AM
SOA AAA

College: University of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfootball View Post
A retirement plan I do work for is seeking to "bridge" cost of living adjustments. If you are not familiar with the term, the active participants would receive no COLA on the accrued benefit earned for future service accruals. The plan is considering adopting this either on a frozen basis or on a final average salary basis such that the COLA accrued to date could still increase with future salary increases.

Unfortunately our valuation system can't efficiently/appropriately value such a provision. My questions to you- Have you encountered a similar situation (perhaps with a different benefit provision like an age/svc retirement condition)? If so, how did you value such a provision and what valuation software did you use?

Thanks in advance
Any software should handle the frozen COLA case in 2 valuation runs. I have worked on a case like this long ago using my employer's (now obsolete) proprietary valuation system. Something like ProVal should work for both the frozen & final average salary cases.