Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Quote:
Police feared a mass shooting in alleged Pokémon plot

Police said the arrests of James Stumbo and Kevin Norton over the weekend on gun charges prevented a “potential tragedy.”

“We can never read someone’s mind,” Police Superintendent Paul A. Fitzgerald said, when asked what the men intended to do with their guns. “What we can read is what they were saying and the actions that they took, bringing the weapons they were showing online as a threat.”

Police said they worked on the case with Boston’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, a partnership that includes federal agents.

“That could have been a mass shooting,” Fitzgerald said. “So obviously the federal agencies were concerned with that.”

On a public Facebook page called “Mayhem Pokemon Crew,” Stumbo, 27, allegedly posted a photo of a white sedan with two long guns crossed over the trunk. “Kevin Norton and I are ready for worlds Boston here we come!!!” he wrote.

Before his arrest, according to prosecutors, Norton, 18, was not allowed access to a chat room from which he was banned for bullying, and allegedly stated, “Oh, ok, that’s fine then I will just shoot him on Friday thanks.”

Police say they found an AR-15 rifle, 12-gauge Remington shotgun, ammunition, and a hunting knife in the 2002 Chevrolet Prizm the two men had driven to Boston.

Boston Municipal Court Judge Lisa A. Grant on Monday ordered Norton and Stumbo held without bail. She set a dangerousness hearing for Sept. 1. The men stood expressionless at their arraignment as authorities laid out the charges against them.

Both men were registered for the Pokémon tournament, police said. Stumbo appears to have won state tournaments this year in Nebraska and Minnesota, according to online results. The game is an international sensation, pitting players against each other using Pokémon trading cards.

The two men had allegedly threatened specific individuals and discussed mass shootings in online chat rooms.

One alleged post by Stumbo said, “My AR15 says you lose.”

Authorities have not said what they believe motivated the men. In court Monday, defense lawyers for the men said neither has a criminal record and both are employed.
The two guys charged look pretty much exactly how you might think they would.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

I'd assume 85% of online chat is about people threatening each other, insulting mothers, and owning n00bs. Half of those people probably also own real guns. Not sure if there was a real threat here. Probably they brought the guns and wouldn't have done anything. I assume this happens a lot. But 1 in ?? does start shooting.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM
CAS

One kid could pass for Sam Tarly if he put on some black robes
Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM

The fat one kinda looks like the actor who played the son in Two and a Half Men.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM

I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ting-200m-gold

Quote:
Usain Bolt wiped out by cameraman on Segway when celebrating 200m gold

Justin Gatlin could not get close to Usain Bolt in the 200m final in Beijing – but it appears he might have had better luck if he had been on a Segway and armed with a camera.

Bolt streaked clear of his sprint rival to complete another double at the World Athletics Championships and when he was celebrating with the crowd an overzealous cameraman got too close for comfort, lost control of his Segway and swept the Jamaican off his feet.

The 10-times world champion did not appear badly injured by the incident, managed to see the funny side and was soon posing for pictures with his adoring crowd again.

“It didn’t actually hit me in my Achilles, it hit me in my calf area,” Bolt said. “It’s alright, I will get over it. Never a doubt [for the relays], never a doubt. I am just going to get it massaged, ice it up a bit and I should be fine.”
Spoiler:

Old 08-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...0b462cd92.html

Missouri law allows municipalities to set up "Community Improvement Districts" where property owners, acting as a group, have the right to increase sales taxes within the CID with proceeds going to fund improvement projects ... as long as there are no registered voters in the CID. But what if they miss one?

Quote:
A mistake by representatives of the Business Loop 70 Community Improvement District means a sales tax increase the district needs to thrive will require approval by a single University of Missouri student.

On Feb. 28, Jen Henderson, 23, became the sole registered voter living within the community improvement district, or CID, meaning she is the only person who would vote on a half-cent sales tax increase for the district.

The Columbia City Council established the district on a 5-2 vote in April in response to a petition from a group of property owners in the CID boundaries. The “qualified voters” in a CID are capable of levying various taxes or assessments within the boundaries of the district to fund improvement projects. Under state law, decisions to impose sales taxes in a CID are to be made by registered voters living in the district boundaries. If no such registered voters are present, property owners vote.

Many homes surrounding the university-owned property where Henderson resides were not included in the district when it was drawn because district organizers wanted a district free of residents.

CID property owners levied a property assessment within the district after the city council’s April vote. The rate is about a half-cent per $100 of assessed value for properties within the district, and organizers say it should bring in about $50,000 annually.

The CID planned to hold an August election to enact a half-cent sales tax, projected to bring in about $220,000 of additional revenue for capital improvement projects. CID Executive Director Carrie Gartner said when CID officials contacted the Boone County Clerk’s Office about holding the election, they found out Henderson registered to vote with her Business Loop address in February.

For more than a year and a half, as property owners in the “Loop” area worked to get the CID and tax increases established, they banked on that sales tax vote being their own.

When asked if the CID would be financially viable without the sales tax increase, Gartner said “no.”

Gartner said the CID has incurred “significant debt” the district hoped to pay down through the tax, including more than $100,000 it owes the city and for legal representation, $55,000 owed to Jack Miller of True Media and a $60,000 line of credit with Landmark Bank.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

http://www.treknews.net/2015/09/15/j...osure-voyager/

"Voyager" actress Jennifer lien arrested for indecent exposure - to minors!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:10 PM
SOA CCA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
http://www.treknews.net/2015/09/15/j...osure-voyager/

"Voyager" actress Jennifer lien arrested for indecent exposure - to minors!!!
My god, what happened to Kes?!?
Spoiler:

If I weren't out here every day battling the white man, I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity—because you can hardly mention anything I'm not curious about. — Malcolm X

Old 09-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10509870.html

Quote:
Naked clown activists issue apology to Palestinians after protesting at wall separating Israel with West Bank

A group of nude Spanish activists who staged a protest at the wall separating Israel and the West bank - while wearing nothing but clown noses - have apologised after offending Palestinians.