Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-26-2017, 02:14 PM
SOA

Default Fall 2017 MLC Progress Thread

So for all those that are on the fence, or already know they failed the spring sitting:

Whats your knowledge maintenance strategy? will you be continuously reviewing materials and working problems? Or will you just wait for the results and start then?
1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA

"It turns out tools are complex; give a tool to a tool, and the result will be negative"
Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Alum

I am going to wait until after exam results are released assuming late July. That would give 3 months to prepare for Oct. 27th sitting.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Z View Post
So for all those that are on the fence, or already know they failed the spring sitting:

Whats your knowledge maintenance strategy? will you be continuously reviewing materials and working problems? Or will you just wait for the results and start then?
Even though I'm fairly confident I will have at least gotten a 6, I'm not confident enough to completely refrain from studying over the next 2 months. MLC is my last requirement for ASA, so if I didn't make it this time, Fall 2017 is my last chance to pass before they change the ASA requirements.

I will be taking about a week off and then doing light studying for a few hours on Saturdays until we get results. I don't want to have to start basically from scratch if I fail again, so it's important to me to keep my knowledge base up.

I will be working problems as my study method. I don't possibly know what else to do I've done all of the released exams twice now, and I've done all of Coaching Actuaries' WA sample problems, but haven't done all of their WA practice exams. I also haven't done all of the SOA practice problems. So I'll be starting there.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM
SOA

Yeah I think I'm going to do a similar strategy, maybe one day a week of working adapt problems until the results post.
I don't want to touch the sample exams for a couple months so I can forget them and then if i need to, I can retake them properly before next sitting.
1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA

"It turns out tools are complex; give a tool to a tool, and the result will be negative"
Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUMath View Post
I am going to wait until after exam results are released assuming late July. That would give 3 months to prepare for Oct. 27th sitting.
I did this between the fall and the spring sittings and would not recommend it. I'm taking a couple weeks off and then plan to do a few problems a day until results post.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torene View Post
I did this between the fall and the spring sittings and would not recommend it. I'm taking a couple weeks off and then plan to do a few problems a day until results post.
Why wouldn't you recommend it? did you have to start from scratch?

Do you really think its necessary to do problems every day?
Just seems like a ton of work possibly for nothing.
1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA

Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 AM
SOA

To each their own, but as a re-taker myself: I started studying in Feb and did ADAPT quizzes and basically relearned/refreshed all my knowledge in a few weeks. By March I was back to where I was the day of the sitting in the Fall. Then I spent 2 months doing practice exams. If you take two months off you'll be a little rusty on some of the tricks, but you're not going to forget the concepts of insurance and reserves and all that. Doing daily questions until grades are out sounds like a nightmare.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:35 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Z View Post
Why wouldn't you recommend it? did you have to start from scratch?

Do you really think its necessary to do problems every day?
Just seems like a ton of work possibly for nothing.
Yea I pretty much had to start from scratch. I don't really think it's necessary to do problems every day, once per week should be sufficient. But I didn't touch the material between Oct and Jan and greatly regretted it.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletGrey08 View Post
To each their own, but as a re-taker myself: I started studying in Feb and did ADAPT quizzes and basically relearned/refreshed all my knowledge in a few weeks. By March I was back to where I was the day of the sitting in the Fall. Then I spent 2 months doing practice exams. If you take two months off you'll be a little rusty on some of the tricks, but you're not going to forget the concepts of insurance and reserves and all that. Doing daily questions until grades are out sounds like a nightmare.
I guess I should clarify, when I say I'm going to do questions every day I don't mean I'm going to spend hours on them every day. I'm thinking at least 1 and no more than 5 a day. With probably a hard cap of a half an hour.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:58 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

I'm going to do all of the end of chapter problems of the book amlcr. I think that's the closest you get to the long form questions. I felt pretty good in the multiple choice so I just need to prepare more for the wtitten questions. For now I'm just going back to modules and VEEs and not worry again until July.