Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Studying for EA-2L

corollary to that, you claim that gosujohn or whatever his last id was, was harassed into leaving the ao. i think what happened was, someone outed him on reddit. if he was so great as he claimed, why is getting outed in all his glory on reddit bad enough to get him to leave the ao? is he ashamed of his identity?
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 11-17-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Old 11-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
I'm working and giving you lot some hard truths.

Multi-tasking FTW
nah, you're trolling
Spoiler:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:10 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
correlary to that, you claim that gosujohn or whatever his last id was, was harassed into leaving the ao. i think what happened was, someone outed him on reddit. if he was so great as he claimed, why is getting outed in all his glory on reddit bad enough to get him to leave the ao? is he ashamed of his identity?
It's not really that simple and you know it. People left the old Water Cooler for the same reasons. Being reasonably anonymous allows for better discussions. If everybody posted under their real names, this place would most likely be barren.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
It's not really that simple and you know it. People left the old Water Cooler for the same reasons. Being reasonably anonymous allows for better discussions. If everybody posted under their real names, this place would most likely be barren.
but someone as superior as you and gosu should be proud to post under your real names just like campbell is...unless you think that somehow things said on here COULD actually harm your career because you're not as great as you seem to believe.
Spoiler:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Studying for EA-2L

the primary reason for anonymity on this forum versus any other forum where anonymity isn't a rule at all is because outing identities could harm your career potentially, but you think that we are all beneath you and you're amazing and everyone in your corporate world already recognizes this, so what's the issue with not being anonymous in that case?
Spoiler:
Old 11-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Back to the original topic:

Being average is so bad because it usually sucks.

If you're average (median) in income and wealth, you'll struggle with affording major goals commonly desired by average people such as raising children who grow up to be well-adjusted productive adults, buying a home, and retiring comfortably above poverty before age 70. Average people usually don't accomplish all three.

Over 2 in 3 people end up divorced, never married, or in a bad marriage. If you don't want to be in one of those categories, you have to be above average in the ability to attract and choose and keep a suitable spouse.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 11-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Over 2 in 3 people end up divorced, never married, or in a bad marriage.
Link?
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 11-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Now that I think of it I'm not really sure which one of those I was referring to. Like the average person that I am.

But I get this sense that living a humdrum life is supposed to be undesirable and that feeling pressure to do better is unnecessary and unhealthy if you simply want to be left alone and satisfied with what you have. I myself have been pressured at various stages of my life to be the best and brightest, and at times subject to intense stress and competition.

A person with a $50k income and no ambition to go any further, which is pretty average, still makes significant and important contributions to society. The rent they pay employs many people to maintain their home. The food they buy contributes to the well being of the farmers who grow the food and the factory workers who process that food. By enjoying simple pleasures like video games, movies, and music, they contribute positively to the well being of people who want to make a living doing creative work. And, by being a good friend and supportive partner, they make a positive impact on the emotional well being of their closest friends and loved ones, and you don't need a lot of money or be the smartest person in the world to do the last thing I mentioned.

So what's so bad about being average? I believe there's nothing bad about it at all.
I don't think we should pat people on the back for employing people to feed them. That's a little nutso imo.

If we're talking econ, a median person is technically a "leech". They consume a lot more public resources than they contribute in taxes.

I don't think that's necessarily bad though. We live in a world full of riches, I don't see why we shouldn't give some to the median person, instead of just distributing them to geniuses and polymaths.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Being average in the U.S. right now is pretty good... historically speaking.

Of course, historically speaking, on average, one would be dead before one's 5th birthday.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-17-2019, 02:23 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
the primary reason for anonymity on this forum versus any other forum where anonymity isn't a rule at all is because outing identities could harm your career potentially, but you think that we are all beneath you and you're amazing and everyone in your corporate world already recognizes this, so what's the issue with not being anonymous in that case?
Campbell doesn't post in the political forum.

I like to talk politics. And that can be rather rough and tumble.

Unfortunately, talking about politics in the corporate world is a big no-no, unless it has been completely sanitised and devoid of any real challenging content.