Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-18-2019, 02:27 PM
SOA

She sounds smart enough to potty train.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:41 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
She sounds smart enough to potty train.
Yeah, she's mostly trained now. I think we should have pushed it earlier, though she was/is not that interested. Admittedly it's not a very fun process. The key was putting her in underwear and hoping that she feels gross when she pisses herself.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 11-18-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Old 11-18-2019, 03:42 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
She is still reading btw, which I guess isn't a surprise. It's difficult to teach her because she's bored by it, and would prefer to memorize books than sound out letters.... That said, I'm also not really hammering it, or any other academics right now. I don't think it matters if kids can read. Ultimately, it's just a trick to decode words. What's more important is her ability to understand, interpret, synthesize, etc. and reading a book by herself is just way too slow and limited compared to listening to a story read at full speed.
Both my sister and I memorized books when we were young. We knew our favorite books by heart, and knew which symbols on the page represented each word. For both of us, the technical "learn how to read by sounding out letters" phase was really, really short, and mostly coincided with when we got new books and our parents didn't have time to sit and read them over and over again with us. We both were reading fairly well by Kindergarten, and far ahead of our age group.

So... basically, don't worry about the memorizing as opposed to reading thing. If she's captivated by stories, the reading will come easily enough when she's ready.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
when reading Blue-hat, Green Hat, she will intentionally get all 4 colors wrong on the last page... But not only does she get them all wrong, but she will substitute the same exact 4 wrong colors, even if she hasn't read the book in weeks... and get irritated with me if I suggest a different permutation.)

In terms of broadening her mind, I've been looking for board games and card games and the like. I haven't found anything great though. (Admittedly she gets bored and I get even more bored).
Little kids getting things wrong on purpose is one of my favorite adorable preschooler things! Example: My oldest was pretty good at reading and writing when she first read Winnie the Pooh and thought misspelling words was the funniest thing ever and started doing it herself

If she can count, Hi Ho Cherry Oh is a favorite early board game in my family.
We also play Memory, when they are too young to remember things we call it "Match" and play with the cards face up. They love to play Match long past the age when it's actually challenging for them.
Look into anything by Blue Orange games - we like Pengaloo (a memory game).
We also play non-competitive Blokus - just trying to fill the board, we help the kids learn how to line the blocks up so only the corners touch.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM
SOA

Chess.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
If she can count, Hi Ho Cherry Oh is a favorite early board game in my family.
We also play Memory, when they are too young to remember things we call it "Match" and play with the cards face up. They love to play Match long past the age when it's actually challenging for them.
Look into anything by Blue Orange games - we like Pengaloo (a memory game).
We also play non-competitive Blokus - just trying to fill the board, we help the kids learn how to line the blocks up so only the corners touch.
Oh yeah I forgot about match. She has a solid memory, but terrible strategy. :smh:

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 11-18-2019 at 09:14 PM..
Old 11-18-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Chess.
Yes, just got a set and it's our go-to, when I have any patience left in me.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 11-18-2019 at 09:14 PM..