Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 AM
CAS SOA

College: Northern Illinois University
Favorite beer: Lion Stout
Red face Exam P Android App

I would like to advise all android users sitting for Exam P of this study tool:

Exam P Quick Notes

It contains a quick reference to the distributions needed for Exam P. While doing practice drills, it's handy to keep open on your telephone so that if you need to quickly remember a detail about how to use one of the distributions, you can tap and see the details right away. They are arranged in a clear concise way, and the information in this app was a lifesaver when I studied for P.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:57 AM
SOA

College: Baylor University Alumni

I assume you wrote it?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 AM
CAS SOA

Smile

Yes, I based it on my old cheat sheet. I got an 8 on the exam and I made constant use of my carefully crafted cheat sheet while studying. Do you like the app?

Last edited by thodges314; 08-21-2015 at 01:40 AM..
Old 08-21-2015, 05:31 AM
SOA

I could probably make a testing engine for the exams.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:00 PM
CAS SOA

I thought of that. I feel that I'd have to be very dedicated to creating material for each exam to compete with services like CoachingActuaries.

Right now I'm working on mathematics education products in general. The Exam P sheet happens to be the first product I've put out. I've also released something on differential calculus and I am working to expand the app to cover integration, and sequences and series'.

Last edited by thodges314; 08-21-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Old 09-14-2015, 05:55 PM
CAS SOA

This app currently has 93 active users and is my most successful, despite having a rather niche market. Thank you so much everyone who has downloaded it.
If anyone who is using it can give it a rating with some comments that would help me out a lot and make this app accessible to more people.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:47 AM
SOA

I had up to 100k to 250k active users.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:48 AM
CAS SOA

Awesome. What was your app? Exam P is a bit niche with only about 2000 to 3000 people taking the exam per sitting. Can you give me some tips on how you got it showing up in searches?
The other app that I'm promoting the most is a Calculus reference app, but I have more competition and can't get it high in the searches. Thinking of doing an FM also.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 PM
SOA

Knife Joy. 720 Software is my corp to maintain privacy just in case i made a million bucks or pay the lowest tax possible for it. I used to have a $400 marketing budget for each app launch. I would target a region ie Canada or USA. Amazon underground looks like a fun way to make some app money. IAP is the way to go if you want to make money since ad company pay is total crap unless its during Christmas then CPM goes sky high.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:00 PM
CAS SOA

Looks like you had a wider market. I was thinking of making one of those fast-click simple games with interstitial ads eventually, but I'm mainly interested in educational aps. Things on my list include a math-blaster type app where kids need to know arithmetic skills to decide which enemies to tap on, a factoring polynomial app where you input a polynomial and choose tools from a toolbox to try to factor it, etc.

I'll consider making a couple of throwaway apps with IAPs to boost the brand though. I haven't checked into putting my apps on Kindles but I'll find out what I need to do to do that. Thanks for those tip. I'm trying to install KnifeJoy but I'm getting an error when I try to install it (I recently factory-reset my telephone and there is plenty of memory so I can't imagine the problem).

Tags
android, android apps, study