Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-19-2018, 07:00 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Yes, I had my FSA in five years. I think it was the FSA raise that put me over (as a senior analyst)
I guess that's what I'm saying. I feel you have to make significant exam progress to hit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
Yes and no. Not 5 years from graduation, but within 5 years from sitting for my first exam.
But maybe I'm wrong. IDK

Just mean that we lose track of reality that most people didn't pass exams as quickly as we did.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
I guess that's what I'm saying. I feel you have to make significant exam progress to hit it.

But maybe I'm wrong. IDK

Just mean that we lose track of reality that most people didn't pass exams as quickly as we did.
I also had 4 different jobs in that 5 years. So that helps.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Best way to boost pay is to not only pass exams, but move every 1.5 or so years to another company for at least 10-15% more.

This is hard though, as you need a credible story for the jumps.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Best way to boost pay is to not only pass exams, but move every 1.5 or so years to another company for at least 10-15% more.

This is hard though, as you need a credible story for the jumps.
Shuuld that bump % get higher, the higher you move up? Just seems like a chief actuary would make a much higher % pay over the next level down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:36 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Kind of surprised at zoology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Me too. I have a nephew with a zoology BS degree. but, he doesn't have a higher degree (and is squeaking by financially), and I'm guessing that the Zoology category in the OP is filled with advanced degreed peoples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I googled it, zoology is a common path to becoming a veterinarian. Makes sense, I didn't think of that when I first saw 'zoology' on that list.
Where I went to college we didn't have "pre-med" or "pre-vet" as degrees. So those folks majored in either zoology or microbiology, mostly zoology even for the folks who want to become people doctors.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:02 AM
SOA

1. Go to 2-year college and finish all GE required courses there and self study for preliminary topics needed for actuarial exams.

2. Transfer to 4-year college as soon as all GE courses were done and transferable.

3. Apply for and get scholarships with high GPA from 2-year college for transfer students in a in-state public university.

4. Only take actuarial, business, computer science and VEE required courses. Graduate on time or early in senior year.

That way the student only needs less than $30k for total 4-year college study. If there's enough space to get internships in junior and senior year, the student may well reduce its college expense assistance from parent.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
You don't need no exams to be worthy of treasure troves.

-Riley
Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 AM
CAS

Quote:
Did you make six figures in 5 years? Genuinely curious.

I think the majority of people don't make it because it requires exam progress and probably a job switch.
Most people don't blaze through exams and then switch jobs. But most people who do both of these things do get to 6 figures within 5 years right?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:04 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
1. Go to 2-year college and finish all GE required courses there and self study for preliminary topics needed for actuarial exams.

2. Transfer to 4-year college as soon as all GE courses were done and transferable.

3. Apply for and get scholarships with high GPA from 2-year college for transfer students in a in-state public university.

4. Only take actuarial, business, computer science and VEE required courses. Graduate on time or early in senior year.

That way the student only needs less than $30k for total 4-year college study. If there's enough space to get internships in junior and senior year, the student may well reduce its college expense assistance from parent.
Yea this is basically exactly what I did. My local cc cost less than $1000 a semester. Then transferred to a 4 year state school at 5k a semester. I didn't have the the standard "college experience" which is unfortunate, but I also dont have the standard college debt either.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:25 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
I hit it in a little less than 3 years after my second job switch. Up to that point, from my starting salary, the increase in pay consisted of 50.8% from job hopping and 49.2% from exam raises (I started with 2 exams and was one exam away from ACAS at this point).

Dukelampard must be rolling in it imo.