Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-22-2018, 11:16 PM
CAS SOA

Default Need advice on what to do

Hey guys, this is my first AO post so here it goes:

I just passed Exam P this past Friday the 21st on my first attempt.

I currently am a double major(Math of finance 3.75 major GPA, Statistics 3.57 major GPA) at a State University with a 3.398 overall GPA. My overall GPA should go up this semester to above a 3.4.

I have the option to pick up a computer science minor and graduate either this coming Summer or in Fall 2019. The other option is to not pick up the computer science minor and to graduate this coming Spring 2019. Either way, I plan on taking Exam FM this coming February.

I also plan on taking The Infinite Actuary Technical skills course to build excel access and VBA skills to attract employers when looking for internships.

So with no relevant work experience I have some questions regarding what I should do at this crossroad.

1)Should I drop the statistics major as it might not look good to employers that my GPA in the statistics major is lower than my Math of finance major?

2)Should I pick up the computer science minor? If so should I graduate in the summer of 2019 or fall of 2019? Would graduating next fall open up more internship opportunities (especially with more than one exam passed)?

3)Should I wait until the end of the Fall 2018 semester to apply to internships so I can bring my overall GPA up and work on my technical skills with the TIA course? With that in mind, should I even wait until after my exam FM sitting to apply to these internships for the coming summer?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Misterbass; 09-22-2018 at 11:22 PM..
Old 09-22-2018, 11:27 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Keep the major, add the minor, and if you wait to apply until after Fall, you'll find many of the internships are gone.

The above is one man's opinion.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

1) No
2) Yes
3) No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

ninja'd by seconds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:13 AM
CAS SOA

Ok thanks for the info.

Should I wait a couple of weeks after starting the TIA course to apply to jobs to give me the excel skills needed to get the internship?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 AM
CAS

graduating in fall 2019 would allow you to apply for internships for the upcoming summer. If you graduate spring 2019, many places will not take you for summer internships cause you'll finish school before your internship.

APPLY FOR SUMMER INTERNSHIPS ASAP. you are already a little bit late tbh. Most of the big companies have started their hiring process (and many candidates got offers), so go to indeed and apply to literally every internship you see. with 1 exam, you're gonna have some difficulty but it's better to apply now then never.

Sign up for the TIA course if you want, but excel is easy enough to pick up for free. just learn vlookup, index/match, pivot tables, charts/graphs, and basic functions (sumifs, countifs, etc).

For resume help, post on the resume subforum. Feel free to PM me if you need more tailored advice cause I just finished the whole internship process and can gladly help.

Last edited by hostess; 09-23-2018 at 12:37 AM..