Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-19-2019, 10:29 AM

would you be happy if you didn't get a choice of where you started working?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:00 AM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
That would depend on how much Iím getting paid and what my job is.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM
SOA

College: Western Kentucky University

The competitive balance rules that help form the draft rules and team control of drafted players help form the market for the NBA. What do you think would happen to the NBA if the current small market teams couldn't keep their draft picks for several years?

I'd bet the league would be down to 24 or less teams fairly quickly and stabilize at no better than 20.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Mike Conley traded to Utah for Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, Grayson Allen, and picks
Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Make the starting salary a few million dollars each for a few years. Then ask me again.

Williamson can play overseas. He has that choice. Won't make as much money, but that is what you give up for having choices.
He can choose not to play basketball. He has that choice.

Also, I didn't get really a choice. I could have moved 2000 miles, but I chose not to, and didn't work.
Then, a few years and a master's degree later, I got ONE offer from a place in town. I "chose" it. Because it was my only choice. And not for a few million a year for each of three years.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Daneel Olivaw View Post
The competitive balance rules that help form the draft rules and team control of drafted players help form the market for the NBA. What do you think would happen to the NBA if the current small market teams couldn't keep their draft picks for several years?

I'd bet the league would be down to 24 or less teams fairly quickly and stabilize at no better than 20.
How many years of "control" (i.e., paying them less than they're worth) do you think are optimal? I've read seven years is the current control length.

Draft is good for spreading the wealth so all the owners feel like they're doing great every once in a while (except Donald Sterling; he sucked).
But I think they need to cut down the number of years of control. Or, make the scale increases more favorable to the player in year four and five. More control should mean more pay to the player.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Mike Conley traded to Utah for Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, Grayson Allen, and picks
Memphis is officially in full tank mode. I like this for the Jazz, it doesn't seem like they are giving up too much and it will be really nice for them to have another scoring option. Now seems like the time for them to go for it and even if it doesn't work out, they aren't giving up too much.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
How many years of "control" (i.e., paying them less than they're worth) do you think are optimal? I've read seven years is the current control length.
It's not 7 years of total control. At the end of year 4, the player can leave if his team doesn't match the best offer he gets from another NBA team.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Make the starting salary a few million dollars each for a few years. Then ask me again.

Williamson can play overseas. He has that choice. Won't make as much money, but that is what you give up for having choices.
He can choose not to play basketball. He has that choice.

Also, I didn't get really a choice. I could have moved 2000 miles, but I chose not to, and didn't work.
Then, a few years and a master's degree later, I got ONE offer from a place in town. I "chose" it. Because it was my only choice. And not for a few million a year for each of three years.
were you ever the consensus best in the world at your job at 19 (or 22, 24, whenever you entered the job market)? were you in the top 30? if you were, then you could've worked wherever you wanted
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
were you ever the consensus best in the world at your job at 19 (or 22, 24, whenever you entered the job market)? if you were, then you could've worked wherever you wanted
You got me there.