Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 04-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
"One particular company you might want to look into is ISO in New York. They supposedly hire a ton of entry level people every year. They seem to be a stepping stone for many actuaries early on in their career. Work a few years at ISO then move on to greener pastures."
does anyone have any info about this company? i went to the website but i'm not really getting a feel for what kind of actuary they want, or what they want at all.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Instead of working at a stepping stone, why not consider working somewhere you would rather work?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox
Instead of working at a stepping stone, why not consider working somewhere you would rather work?
well i met someone from the company and he basically said he could get me a job there with no exams...i'm sitting for exam p in may and i've been hearing how hard it is to get a job in nyc, so i've been considering moving to chicago...i don't think i will fail the exam or anything, i'm just examining my options and when i heard this in the post, i wondered why the pastures weren't "green" at ISO.
right now, it's so early in the game, i don't know where i'd want to work, b/c i don't know much about any companies right now...i.e. which ones to research, what type of actuary i want to become, which ones would be a good fit.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
CAS SOA COPA

You talk of Chicago like it's not competitive over there. If you said Omaha, I might understand. The people I know with no exams work in Detroit.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicopear
well i met someone from the company and he basically said he could get me a job there with no exams...i'm sitting for exam p in may and i've been hearing how hard it is to get a job in nyc, so i've been considering moving to chicago...i don't think i will fail the exam or anything, i'm just examining my options and when i heard this in the post, i wondered why the pastures weren't "green" at ISO.
right now, it's so early in the game, i don't know where i'd want to work, b/c i don't know much about any companies right now...i.e. which ones to research, what type of actuary i want to become, which ones would be a good fit.
Don't move somewhere to get a job more easily. Get a job where you want to live.

Who cares if it's hard? Apply yourself.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:59 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Grizzly

i think it would make more sense to apply for a job and get it before you move to a place rather than move then apply
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 PM

It might be a little late in the season to look for a job in Chicago. Also - Chicago with no exams - it is unlikely that you will find something starting this summer; there are tons of Actuarial Science schools here that graduate many students with more than 2 exams. You might want to consider some other city.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINIDON2K
i think it would make more sense to apply for a job and get it before you move to a place rather than move then apply
yes def...i am not going anywhere unless the deal is really good.

i am just trying to figure out where i can get a job by september with one exam (crossing my fingers to pass in may)...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:10 AM
CAS SOA COPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3si
It might be a little late in the season to look for a job in Chicago. Also - Chicago with no exams - it is unlikely that you will find something starting this summer; there are tons of Actuarial Science schools here that graduate many students with more than 2 exams. You might want to consider some other city.
There are definately places in Chicago still recruiting. I just had an interview with one over there recently.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM

The thing that annoys me most about dealing with HR is differences in opinion/understanding of the work place between them and the actual hiring managers.

Maybe there are some (perhaps inexperienced or at the risk of sounding gender biased female) managers whose style consist of trying to be everyone's friend in the workplace whose thinking would more closely match typical HR personnel, but it seems like in general there is a great difference in how HR and other departments view the workplace.

The biggest example is when a portion of a specific building of a place I came for an interview (and prescreening before that) was dedicated to HR. Everyone who came within 5 feet of me said hello. I swear there were flowers and teddy bears (Be a good neighbear) everywhere.

During the interview I was asked several questions such as give an example of a situation where you acted as a mediator etc. Having not read the advice in this thread about how to best deal with HR, I made the mistake of trying to find a happy medium... IE give an answer that would keep the HR manager from throwing out my resume, but which a real office manager could respect. Little did I know there is no happy medium.

I think my answer to the mediation question was that I would try to get both sides to understand the requirements, ask for suggestions about how to meet the requirements and still satisfy what each person wanted, and explain that in the absence of any alternatives we would have to do what we need to in order to best meet our requirements.

She was pretty much removed from the interview (in a bad way) until I asked her about the work enviornment and commented on how friendly the personnel was and how I had been greeted 4 times in the 5 feet between her office and the door. At which point she laughed giddily and made a deliberate hmm as if to communicate reconsideration.

Every actual manager I have come into contact with respects straightforwardness (respectful straightforwardness) and honesty. HR personnel seem to respect politeness at all costs. Besides all the other related issues, dealing with HR is like trying to sell a Refridgerator to a damned soul with an Eskimo as a middleman.

Last edited by renaissoxx; 04-12-2006 at 08:21 PM..