Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 AM

Default Graphing GLMs in R

Hi - I'm using R to fit GLMs to client data, which is working quite well (using the RevoAnalytics package). I'd like to put some code together to produce some of the usual graphical output that a proprietary package like Emblem can spit out. Things like:
* Plots of linear predictor/predicted value vs variable level (1 variable at a time)
* Residual plots

Rather than reinventing the wheel, I'm wondering if anyone reading this has any pre-written code to do this kind of thing - something they might be prepared to share?

(cheeky request)

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalxyz View Post
Hi - I'm using R to fit GLMs to client data, which is working quite well (using the RevoAnalytics package). I'd like to put some code together to produce some of the usual graphical output that a proprietary package like Emblem can spit out. Things like:
* Plots of linear predictor/predicted value vs variable level (1 variable at a time)
* Residual plots

Rather than reinventing the wheel, I'm wondering if anyone reading this has any pre-written code to do this kind of thing - something they might be prepared to share?

(cheeky request)

Thanks!
Does RevoAnalytics package produce the same type of object as glm()? Not familiar with it.

Most common graphing package that I know of is ggplot2. I didn't quite understand your example of [* Plots of linear predictor/predicted value vs variable level (1 variable at a time)] -- are you saying you have a factor with different levels, and you want to see the distribution by each level? Like side-by-side boxplots? Or are you just looking to plot one predictor variable against target variable in a scatter / fitted plot? Might want to look into partial dependence plots for that.

Boxplots:
ggplot(data = yourdf, mapping = aes(x = factorvariable, y = responsevariable)) + geom_boxplot()

should get something basic--can tune or clean up, add labels, etc. as desired. Note that it's as easy as changing geom_boxplot() to geom_point() or geom_histogram() or whatever you want to plot, and you can change your x and y variables accordingly. There's a lot of customization and freedom, so I won't pretend to try to guess exactly what you want, but maybe you can clarify and we can get closer
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Thank you.

The rxGlm() function within the RevoAnalytics package produces its own peculiar model objects which aren't the same as the objects produced by glm(). However there is a useful as.glm() function within the RevoAnalytics package which performs a conversion to the standard glm object.

On your question about the graphs...I've uploaded an example (I think) of the sort of graph I'm thinking of. So it's for a single predictor variable, showing the linear predictor from the GLM fit on the vertical axis and the levels of the predictor variable on the horizontal axis and also 2 standard errors either side (ie rough 95% CI type illustration). I had to construct this manually in Excel though, by copying and pasting from R and then creating the graph. Very tiresome!

Also shows exposure on a secondary axis.

[Also I've included a smoothed GLM fit in this graph (the green data series) although that's not essential. This is the result of a second, simplified GLM fit.]
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Is a lift chart not what you're looking for?