Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:30 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Hot take: Horizon Zero Dawn should've won Game of the Year instead of BOTW (the games were released within a few weeks of each other). Horizon Zero Dawn is the superior game in all ways.
probably - but Zelda has a cachet that HZD doesn't
Old 05-14-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Horizon Zero Dawn, unlocking the map was a big part of the enjoyment of the game. It could be, for you, the game play reward of the exploration is just not there - which is fine. You don't have to like games that others do.
I think I generally like some exploration games. I really like the elder scrolls games, fallout, even some survival type exploration games (subnautica, the long dark).

Just feels like developers are overusing it in games as a low effort way to copy and paste a bunch of content. It just seems like a lot of games, even across different genres, is 70% unlocking way-points and map markers.

Anyway, just complaining. Too many open world games IMO.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
probably - but Zelda has a cachet that HZD doesn't
It's true. BOTW especially is one of those games that you're not allowed to say anything bad about or the internet will end you.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:41 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
Just feels like developers are overusing it in games as a low effort way to copy and paste a bunch of content. It just seems like a lot of games, even across different genres, is 70% unlocking way-points and map markers.
An open world model is easier to implement a "live service" game - which is all the rage of AAA developers now.

Hopefully a few more catastrophic failures like Anthem may give the correction needed....
Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Hot take: Horizon Zero Dawn should've won Game of the Year instead of BOTW (the games were released within a few weeks of each other). Horizon Zero Dawn is the superior game in all ways.

Convince me otherwise
Haven't played Breath of the Wild... but Horizon Zero Dawn was an incredible game. It's the only game I've ever played where I felt an emotional response to lore. Just exquisite story, great dynamics, good combat, and beautiful. Just plain beautiful.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Convince me otherwise
I agree. HZD was my GotY 2017. Story was great. Everything Iíve seen of BotW just looks like a not as good Elder Scrolls: Zelda. Itís cool you can lay down 15 metal swords and theyíll conduct electricity, but meh.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
CAS

God of War is gaming excellence. Also I now feel like getting the most out of the new TV I bought in November. I went on RTings and used their settings to get the HDR setup right.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
God of War is gaming excellence. Also I now feel like getting the most out of the new TV I bought in November. I went on RTings and used their settings to get the HDR setup right.
I need to put some time into it, I've barely touched it.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
SOA AAA

I'm using an old 4K60 monitor from 2015 with a terrible response rate and screen tearing. I get motion sickness when I play anything in first person for more than 20 minutes. Been thinking about getting an AW3418DW, but it's a lot of money to drop for a resolution downgrade. Does anyone with high-end gaming monitor experience have any suggestions?
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbies View Post
I'm using an old 4K60 monitor from 2015 with a terrible response rate and screen tearing. I get motion sickness when I play anything in first person for more than 20 minutes. Been thinking about getting an AW3418DW, but it's a lot of money to drop for a resolution downgrade. Does anyone with high-end gaming monitor experience have any suggestions?
I had a 4k60 monitor for a while, but traded for a 1080p144 and absolutely loved the responsiveness. Later got a 1440p144 and moved the 1080 to be secondary and that feel like it's a sweet spot. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference between the 1440p and 4k resolution at this size (4k was 28", 1440p is 27").

For gaming I would definitely go 144hz, and 1440p is fine. If you're doing detailed photoshop kind of work, people might find value in a 4k display, but I'd say go higher than 28" to really take advantage of it.

ETA: Looked up the monitor you linked. I've never used an ultrawide, so can't comment much on that. I tried my friend's curved monitor, it was fine but it wasn't world shattering. I think I prefer my flat screen. If possible, go into a store where you can see monitors in person.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one